128gb or go for 256

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Flowiee, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Flowiee macrumors member

Hello,

Ive decided to get the 13" Macbook Air, with 8gb ram and i7 processor. (could change to i5, not sure yet)
    My main thought was to get the 128gb ssd and a 1TB external HDD. Now I looked around and I think maybe 256gb will be better, but costs almost €200 more. Otherwise I'll buy a external HDD for €75.

So to give some examples. (for ssd 128gb, music/movies etc are on hdd)
    - Ilife and Iwork
    - Steam (15gb)
    - Games (25gb)
    - Bootcamp windows 7 (?? gb) (think 15 for install) (only for games)
    - Adobe reader and other programs (10gb?)
    - School documents (10gb)
    - Maschine software (5gb) (will put all files on external HDD, install on ssd)

So quick at up, makes it 80gb, and maybe I forget something. can steam be installed on external HDD? then it will be 65.

Will that be enough for coming 5 years? or will the €180 be better for the 256gb?

Like to hear your opinions, or maybe something I forgot to include in my calculation.

2. Naramis macrumors member

128gb + external hard drive is what I have on my MBA and I think it's enough.
    IMHO, SSDs are for installing the OS, programs and games. Mass storage is for HDDs.

On my desktop PC which I use for gaming, I also have a 128gb SSD. With only 4-5 games installed at any given time I also think it's enough.

However, if you plan to keep the MBA for 5 years, I don't know how that changes things.. maybe 256 will be worth it then.

3. solo118 macrumors 65816

Based on the items you mentioned, I would say 256gb would be a good investment. Unless you would like to carry around an external hard drive?

4. Bear macrumors G3

Remember the bootcamp partition also needs room for whatever you're running under Windows. I'd recommend the 256GB SSD.

5. Miss Roxy macrumors newbie

IMO I would go with 256GB since you're planning to keep your MBA for 5y.

6. na1577 macrumors 6502a

There's no question about it, you should get the 256 GB SSD. 128 GB fills up a lot faster than you would expect, especially because you will be dual booting. Windows 7 alone is 16-20 GB, and any games you install in that partition will take up additional space.

I own a 256 GB Air and if anything I regret not buying the 512 GB version; I simply don't have enough space for all of my programs. If you're worried about money, I would sacrifice the i7 processor. The performance gains are minimal while the reduced battery life is noticeable. But if you really want to keep this machine for 5 years, you shouldn't make any compromises.

7. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

Do the 256, minimum. It's the perfect amount of space.

8. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

If you plan to keep it for a long time then do MBA 13" i7/8gb/256.

I did the base model since I'll flip them at a later point in time.

9. diogoh macrumors newbie

I don't recommend 128Gb SSD for anyone, from my own experience. Bought a 2011 MBA last year with this capacity and filled it up in a short time.

If you are planning to keep it for such long period, I would definitely recommend you to choose either 512Gb or 256Gb SSD and upgrade the storage later with a 128Gb SDXC card.

You can buy one from amazon for approximately $100. The trade off is the read/write speed that is much lower than the internal SSD, but is much better than carrying around a external drive. I had exactly the same thought as you about it but got tired of having to attach this thing every now and then...

Recently I replaced my machine with a 2013 Haswell MBA and chose the 512 Gb drive, along core i7 processor and 8Gb of RAM. Please read my review on this thread, this should help your decision on this purchase:

Ultimate 2013 MBA Review/Guide/Advice

10. teffers macrumors regular

256 all day long.

I tried the 128 and for me, unless you're just gonna use this machine for mainly cloud based activities, it's too small.

:)

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Toss the i7 upgrade. Very little performance net gain. I'd rather have the 256GB SSD.

12. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    for most users, and despite what the 'pundits' may say, the base model MBA is sufficient for most people's usage.
    Apple [:apple:] have had a happy knack - over many years - of matching hardware and software to meet most users' needs.
    always go for the base model - in your screen size of choice - and then use external storage, instead of speccing up SSD, RAM or processor speed. imho ;)
    save $, going forward …
    my current 11" base model Air is better if not faster than on par with the (2012) rMBPro it replaced ;)
    come the time to upgrade - you won't take such a $ hit

13. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

I'm going to suggest 128 is sufficient. I've just upgraded to the 2013 Air and after much thought stayed at 128..

I also have a 64gb SDXC card which I use for all my local data files.. Leaving the internal SSD for the OS and Apps. In addition I have all my data files from all my devices on a Dropbox account with only one folder synced to the Air. I can still access the other folders by using Dropbox through Safari, meaning I have access to all I'm ever going to need. At any one moment in time I've around 60gb free space on the SSD.

14. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

You forgot the 8GB SleepImage file and Windows partition don't stay below 25GB for long.

15. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Go with the 512G instead.

That's what I would do, but maybe your budget can't tolerate it. It sure would make the computer more valuable many years into the future. I almost always only get new computers when either the hard drive dies or runs out of space.

16. Flowiee thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all advice, think thats the 256 gb option is best for me. future usb 3.0 or sd-card are options to upgrade it later on. would like to leave all on my ssd, but mediafiles can go on external drive.
    what are the speeds of sdxc cards today?

Now only decide if the i7 is needed. I play Guildwars 2 / Football manager and will also do that on MBA. also use Imovie to make short movies of snowboard vacation and motor rides. Maybe need Autodesk Inventor for mu master study, but dont know that for sure. Can someone help me further with this. Think that are the main points for i7 for my setup. will have ps4 so dont need demanding game hardware.