128GB SSD + ExtHD or 256 SSD: Worth the money?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AmericanDreamer, Apr 20, 2011.

1. AmericanDreamer macrumors newbie

After deciding that I am going to get a 15'' i7 w/ quadcore, now I am trying to decide if I should get a 128 SSD and just use a 1.5 TB External drive with it or should I just get the 256 SSD.

I am not worried about spending the extra money, but I just don't want to just waste either if you know what I mean...

Is the 256 SSD worth the extra $600?

Thoughts?

2. far4477 macrumors member

buy your own SSD. apple ones are cheap quality and expensive in price.

3. AmericanDreamer thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I figured that the Apple one would be better then the aftermarket ones...

Which SSD do you suggest that I get?

Thanks for your response btw =)

4. far4477 macrumors member

Well there are loads on the market, vertex ones are pretty good. Apple ones run slower and cost more....

5. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

When I first got my 17-inch. I opted for an SSD and my 2TB external. I quickly got tired of having to be stuck at my desk for all of my data.

If you will mostly use your laptop at your desk a smaller SSD and external should be fine. Depends on how much data you have as well.

Are you going for the high end or low end MBP as you say you don't care about the $600.

Another reason I'm glad I opted for 17. In the end I got a 48GB ExpressCard SSD and a 1TB internal drive. SSD and 1TB = $118 + $106. Speed and storage.