128GB SSD too small for time machine backups and storage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jack06, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Jack06 macrumors member

Hi Guys,
    So Apple won't let me install my old SSD (Crucial m4 128GB) into my Macbook Pro 9,1 as it seems they've changed back to it not being user replaceable. So I've been thinking how best I can utilise the drive.
    One idea is to partition the drive with 28GB for storage and 100GB for time machine backups. My only worry is how far back the backups would go as my 5400RPM HDD is 500GB! Can anyone give me a ball park figure, 3 months?
    I micromanage my drive a lot hence why I went for the SSD originally in my old Pro and rarely get anywhere close to 128GB.

Can anyone shed some light?

Kind regards,

Jack

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The drive is replaceable in your MBP, just put the SSD in it.

3. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, it does not.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/macbook_pro-15-inch-mid-2012-important_product_info.pdf

5. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

How odd as I asked the sales assistant whether I could swap it out or not and he said it would void the warranty but perhaps the apple stores would be able to. I called up two separate stores and they both said they would not be able to swap out the drives and they confirmed that the drive wasn't a user replaceable part.

6. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

Apologies HellHammer,
    it does state the above in the user manual (the paper version that came with my MacBook Pro).

How easy would it be to transfer over mountain lion (it came installed on my Pro)?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple stores have always been like this. However, it doesn't void the warranty as described in the manual (and that's written proof, so Apple can't deny fixing the computer because the drive was swapped).

You can get a 2.5" to USB adapter and then just clone your existing drive to the SSD. That's the easiest way.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I suggest you dont sell or do anything with your old drive.
    If something happens to your Mac, throw it back in and send it in.
    Sometimes Apple "Geniuses" like to blame the 3rd party drive or RAM on any kind of problem.
    Just save the drive and use it for later.

9. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

Well now that I've confirmed I can swap the drives I'll likely install the SSD and keep the stock 5400rpm for storage and time machine backups.

Cheers

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Another vote on that the consumer can replace the drive themselves.

The cMBP (as opposed to the retina model) has user replaceable memory and drivs. The reason why the salesman stated that you can't is simple. He wants you to buy a more expensive unit now instead of buying a non apple component later.

If its on apple's own website about what's considered user replaceable then I tend to trust that it is user replaceable.

11. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

the rMBPs have user replaceable SSDs too. :) Check out MacSales.com.

12. Jack06 thread starter macrumors member

Good stuff guys, it seems a lot of people on these forums use SSD's as their main drive and keep their itunes and iphoto libraries on another disk, so I might do the same!

Cheers