128GB SSD, wheres all my space??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MilkMan4, Jul 29, 2011.

1. MilkMan4 macrumors regular

So I have the new mba with a 128GB sad, and when i click on info on the drive in my new MBA, it says 120.46 GB for capacity. That I understand, as you never get the full amount as it says. Then it says available: 97.64 GB and used 22.83 GB. No only having my air for a week, the only stuff that i have put on it is less than 2GB of iTunes stuff, less than 1GB of photos, only a couple apps, I downloaded some GarageBand thing that was 1.2GB, downloaded new iPhone software, updated the iLife apps, and then just yesterday i had to reinstall Lion over the internet bc it froze up and thats what apple support had me finally do. Now if I add all of that up, thats about 10 GB of stuff. Where is the 22.83 it says i have used? Is all of that 12 GB just preloaded stuff? And do i have two Lions on my computer? also, how do i delete the iOS update from my computer?

2. KPOM macrumors G5

The actual full capacity of the 128GB drive is 120GB (it's 250 for the 256GB). All SSDs set aside a certain amount of space called overprovisioning. It prevents wear and tear on the drive since the actual "overprovisioned" cells changes over time. It's necessary because each cell can only be written to a finite number of times.

3. MilkMan4 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I understand that its only 120 GB, but where does my 22.83 used GB come in?

4. marzxbarz macrumors member

Try using a third-party program such as CleanApp to determine where your space is going. There's a neat little GUI that can show you the biggest files in your SSD and gives you the option to delete them if you want.

Your iOS updates will be in ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Garageband standard install also takes up a ton of space. Couple of gig I think. It's bigger than you would expect.

As for two copies of the OS, no, you'll only have one even if you reinstall it (presuming you install on to the same partition if you've partitioned your SSD).

Also note that the new MacBook Airs have a 650MB recovery partition should you need to reinstall the OS from scratch.

Your iPhone backup will also use a good amount of space, too.

6. fatbarstewar macrumors member

Monolingual can rid you of languages, cleared 1.1gb on mine.

7. MilkMan4 thread starter macrumors regular

i'm having trouble locating the software update, i go into library, then iTunes, and the only thing in iTunes is a folder called iTunes plugins???

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That would only apply if you have an iphone/ipad/ipod,etc.. the software updates would be in that folder if you downloaded firmware for them.

9. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

What is the best way to uninstall garage band?

10. jblock macrumors regular

When you launch Garageband for the first time it downloads all the content. If you don't do that it's only the 400 MB app on your Air.

11. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

OK. So I'm good as I have never launched it? It's only using 400MB? Thanks

12. acehlis macrumors newbie

Does the new MacBook Air with Lion have a Recovery Partition?

I know when I installed Lion on my MacBook Pro, it created a recovery partition. I believe it takes up a Gig, or so, of space.

Also, bring up a Terminal Window and look in /var/log. Execute: sudo du -hs /var/log. This should give you a reading of how much disk space /var/log is using. My Adobe Air Plug-in for example has been logging a lot, since my upgrade to Lion. Most of my Adobe stuff isn't behaving. I removed it until a newer version is more Lion friendly.

13. jblock macrumors regular

Yes. When I launched it the first time a big window comes up that tells you it's downloading all the content (instruments, loops, etc.).

14. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

OK. Think I'll just leave it alone for now

15. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Garageband and iMovie are quite a bit bigger on the base install (they put a bunch of stuff under /Library).

12GB sounds about right for Lion + iLife 11. It's the same amount of space it took up on mine before I wiped it and started clean (I only really use iPhoto).

16. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

17. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

the culprit is your sleep images. they're there to allow your computer to be able to resume even if it runs out of power during sleep. they take up the same amount of space as your ram, so if you have 4GB ram, they take up 4gb space on the drive.