128gb USB flash drive problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Schinder, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Schinder macrumors newbie

I went to Shenzen, China yesterday and found a Sony branded (surely fake) 128gb flash drive which I bought for 150 yen (20usd). The sales person showed me that it worked in the shop but when I brought it home I had some problems. I was expecting this but 20usd was a risk worth taking!
    The usb works fine for small files and I can transfer large files to it but when i try to transfer them back to the computer, the transfer freezes after a short while. It varies how quickly it freezes, anywhere from 1kb-300mb so far. I have tried numerous different formats on it. When it freezes and has been formatted in any of the mac formats it needs to be reformatted when i plug it in, but not when its in fat32 or fat64.

Is there any way to fix this or is it a mechanical problem?

2. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Short answer - Most likely a scam.

If the drive claims to be 128 gigabytes, there is currently no way it can be reasonably sold for as little as $20 (unless it was stolen and resold of course).

My guess would be that it is a hacked much smaller USB flash memory, like 2GB, that reports fake sizes to the computer and fakes writes to non-existing areas. There are several ways to verify this, but why bother...

128 gigabits (ie 16 gigabytes) on the other hand is perfectly feasible, but nothing worth wasting money on given the obvious warning signs.