128MB or 256 MB video RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mNewVillage, Jun 8, 2007.

1. mNewVillage macrumors newbie

as you probably know, there's a $500 difference between a 2.2GHz/128MB video RAM machine and a 2.4GHz/256MB video RAM machine for the macbook pro.

i'm a student (aka not much $$) but am really getting into video editing. is the extra video RAM worth the extra $500? i've been told that video RAM won't have that much of an effect on video editing by friends (they said it's mostly for gaming), but chatting with a person from the apple site i was told that the 256MB will make final cut run significantly more smoothly

is it really worth going with the more expensive model when i buy my macbook pro?

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

it will help for apps like motion, depends if you really need the quickness/impatient.

3. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

smoothly is the key....when you video edit, u use the processor to do the changes, the video card is for generating 3D images and such

if you have the choice, go for the cheaper one, unless getting it done 15% quicker is an issue:cool:

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Either machine will give you great performance. But if you plan on heavily using apps like motion, then I would consider going with the 2.4GHz MacBook Pro. :)