128meg x 64 RAM compatible with Powerbook5,6?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bensozia, Oct 15, 2013.

1. bensozia macrumors newbie

I'm trying to find two 1GB Crucial RAM modules for a Powerbook5,6 and their website tells me they only have 256mb and 512mb modules that they can guarantee are compatible.

They DO have 1GB modules with all the same specs except the Component configuration. The "compatible" ones (256mb and 512mb) are 64Meg x 64 and the "non-compatible" one (1GB) is 128Meg x 64.

Will two of the 1GB modules actually work in my Powerbook or should I trust Crucial's website?

These are my Mac's specs:

PowerBook5,6
    Model Number A1106
    Processor PowerPC 7447A or 7447B (G4)
    Processor Speed 1.5 or 1.67 GHz
    Number of Cores 1
    Cache 64 KB L1, 512 KB on-chip (1:1) L2
    System Bus 167 MHz

These are the 512mb module's spec:

Part Number: CT434057
    Module Size: 512MB
    Package: 200-pin SODIMM
    Feature: DDR PC2700
    Specs: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64 •

These are the 1GB module's spec:

Part Number: CT12864X335
    Module Size: 1GB
    Package: 200-pin SODIMM
    Feature: DDR PC2700
    Specs: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 •

Cheers!

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

When the AlBooks originally came out the max ram specified was 1GB. So, that would be 512mb chips and indicated by Apple. The actual 2GB limited was discovered later on. So, I'd trust Crucial.

My 1Ghz 17" PB has two no name brand chips that I got from some third party site for around $50. Crucial should be right on and I do believe they have a return policy.

3. bensozia thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers, but I'm not really worried about the maximum limit, more about the difference in the "Component Configuration" of the specs of the different modules. My real question is will a 1GB with a component configuration of 128Meg x 64 work (or even fit) in my mac, being that that's the only difference between the specs of the compatible (64Meg x 64) and the not compatible modules.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I get that. But my point is that Crucial wouldn't sell you chips that would not work or fit. As I mentioned, the third party chips that I found for my Mac fit and the configuration of the models works, giving me two full gigs. If a third party no name, probably not even there anymore business, can do that, then Crucial, which is a major memory supplier certainly has to be compatible.

5. bensozia thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I see what you mean. I was just concerned because Crucial's site told me that that particular module wouldn't be compatible. But as the only difference seems to be the component configuration, based on what you've told me, I might just risk buying a couple of 1GBs.

Thanks for the help!

6. bensozia thread starter macrumors newbie

This is an update from the Crucial website people:

"I have had a look in to this system and it does support up to 2GB of memory over two memory slots. We unfortunately no longer supply 1GB modules that will work in this system.

The 1GB modules this system needs are Mac specific modules that we no longer stock. The standard CT12864X335 memory would sadly not work in your system. You can see the memory we do recommend for this system HERE."

Looks like I should look elsewhere...

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ah, bummer. Well, I don't know where to tell you to go, except maybe eBay. I could find the buyer I purchased mine from among my receipts, but I would not recommend them. The cards themselves fit physically, but only just barely. The edge of one module scrapes the side of the compartment.

8. bensozia thread starter macrumors newbie

Not to worry, I've had a quick look on eBay and looks like there's some alternatives.

Thanks anyway.