Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
OK- so I was interested in having a Macrumors widget on my desktop for personal use, but I am by no means a javascript guy. So I thought the easiest way to do it would be to pick apart someone else's widget and switch the RSS feed to Macrumors. Basically this is a rip of someone elses widget, so I can't say they'd be happy with someone distributing a widget based on their code. However, I am posting a link to it here simply for people should they choose to take the graphics and such and recode it from the ground up. It's fully functional, with my own graphics, just not exactly original code.

Stuffed File

Attachments

• Macrumors-widget.jpg
    Macrumors-widget.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,584

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Thank you.

I've been asking for one of these for a while now.

I normally just browse the forums for "New Posts," and rarely go to the front page, so I've been missing out on some of the news. Since I use Dashboard a lot for the Dictionary and Thesaurus, this will be a welcome addition.

Thanks again.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Very nice!

I use the site a bit like iGary, 'new-posts' style :cool: ;).
This widget does what it needs to, and does a good job.
Handy widget, nice restyle from the original (good you give them credit - you could ask them wether they mind).
I do have some trouble reading the info on the bottom, maybe make the background a bit darker down below. If i'm the only one with this problem, ignore this, i should probably go see an optician ;). Or i should do it myself 'personal use style' :D.

Very nice!

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Best Widget Ever

This is the best widget I have on this computer. I'll have to bundle it when I make the new image for my school :D. I come here about 3 times a day.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
zap2 said:
nice, is it based off of the cnn wiget

No... as noted in the widget, it's based off the Different District's RSS widget. I suppose it could have just as easily been...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Maybe CNN ripped off Different Districts, or vice versa. ;)

And how does the MacRumours widget work? I don't understand RSS, really. Doesn't the site have to give off an RSS signal for the widget to get the info, or can you make a widget for every news site? All I'm asking is whether MR has to be set up to send news via RSS, or is setup not necessary (ie: you can make a widget like this for any news website)? :confused:

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
I don't know anything about coding widgets but for consistency's sake shouldn't the scroll bar be in the dashboard look?

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
Abstract said:
Maybe CNN ripped off Different Districts, or vice versa. ;)

And how does the MacRumours widget work? I don't understand RSS, really. Doesn't the site have to give off an RSS signal for the widget to get the info, or can you make a widget for every news site? All I'm asking is whether MR has to be set up to send news via RSS, or is setup not necessary (ie: you can make a widget like this for any news website)? :confused:

Macrumors does have an RSS Feed, when an article is written the RSS page is updated, all this widget does is load the RSS code (which is XML) into its interface.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
mad jew said:
Thanks decksnap, just downloaded it and it's working well. :D

By the way, have you got a 'tar because of the widget?

I have an avatar because I won the avatar contest a while back - it's not this 'tar though- it was in the animated avatar category.

Regarding the scrollbar, since widgets are basically html pages, it uses the system scrollbar by default. I think the other one is written in javascript, and like I said, I'm no javascript guru.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Fantastic. Thank you for the effort.

[Edit] I understand, not for use. Cool. Thank you for your recodeing effort and for the efforts of the original coders and thoes that supported them.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Why won't the widget download for me? I click on stuffed file, it asks me if I want to download, I click yes, but then it doesnt download.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
rye9 said:
Why won't the widget download for me? I click on stuffed file, it asks me if I want to download, I click yes, but then it doesnt download.

It's a .sit file. Did you extract it? If not, just do it your desktop and then install it from there.

Anyway, great Widget. I'll be sure to use it. Thanks! :D

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I'd been wondering whether there was a MR widget, I didn't want to post a topic incase there was and I had mysteriously never seen it and felt like a noob. Well, i guess until now there wasn't, great job decksnap.

Now if only someone would do a MR Podcast:D

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
p0intblank said:
It's a .sit file. Did you extract it? If not, just do it your desktop and then install it from there.

Anyway, great Widget. I'll be sure to use it. Thanks! :D

It is a piece of paper on the desktop that says Macrumors.sit. I click on it, and it says to choose an application. I am lost.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Thanks You, decksnap. With the installation of this widget I no longer has to use my web browser to connect to MR for the latest news topics of no interest. :eek: :(

Though this will come in handy also for other RSS sites. ;) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.