Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

thunderbolt-150x158.jpg

DigiTimes reports that Intel has notified partners that the company will "fully release" its Thunderbolt technology in April 2012. Intel is reportedly preparing to launch Thunderbolt-supported motherboards, notebooks and desktop PCs at that time.

Intel and Apple originally partnered on the new technology which has become standard across Apple's MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac mini, and iMac. Digitimes reports that the cost of Thunderbolt technology is expected to drop in the second half of 2012, allowing more widespread adoption.

While Apple does offer Thunderbolt across most of its product line, the first Thunderbolt products have been limited to relatively high end devices. More widespread adoption should help drive adoption by accessory makers that will benefit both Mac and PC users that use Thunderbolt.

Intel has always said that they see both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt as complementary technologies and plans to support both in their 2012 motherboards.

Article Link: Thunderbolt Coming to PCs in April 2012

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Makes sense:
  • USB 3 for keyboards, mice and occasional fast transfers like thumb drives.
  • Thunderbolt for monitors, and applications requiring fast external HHD/SSD times, etc.

Sounds good. :)

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I want to see cheaper hard drives and the like for Thunderbolt soon. :D

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Makes sense:
  • Thunderbolt for monitors, and applications requiring fast external HHD/SSD times, etc.

Yes, just like Firewire. And look how well that went! oh wait... :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
This will be great because Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge onboard GPUs are good enough for most. A thunderbolt / DisplayPort being standard fare on a Intel motherboard will mean I won't have to hunt for a motherboard with DVI or HDMI or whatever on it. :D

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
And as I recall, the Sony one passes it through a USB-type connector, so it's not compatible with anything "Thunderbolt", and may as well be its own thing.

arn

The Z-Series Laptop has that proprietary connector, but I believe the Z21 itself has an open Light Peak port. I'm not sure as the Z21 isn't US bound from what I've read.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Yes, just like Firewire. And look how well that went! oh wait... :)

Firewire is only good for data, TB seems more general purpose and fits a nice slot of super fast transfer for professionals and then easy IO for consumers, I'd hope it'll take off as it's a good little standard.

(I have a FW800 HD simply because it's far faster than USB2 btw)

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
The Z-Series Laptop has that proprietary connector, but I believe the Z21 itself has an open Light Peak port. I'm not sure as the Z21 isn't US bound from what I've read.

There is no such thing as a "Light Peak" port. The only two ports that have been used so far are USB and Mini DisplayPort. The two are incompatible with each other.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
There is no such thing as a "Light Peak" port. The only two ports that have been used so far are USB and Mini DisplayPort. The two are incompatible with each other.

Yeah, you're right. I was misled. Upon further reading I found this.

The dock uses a proprietary version of Intel's codenamed "Light Peak" architecture, which is the same technology Thunderbolt is based on, but Sony has apparently chosen not to market the optical connection as such, and they aren't using a Mini DisplayPort type connector either.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Too late.

USB 3.0 has already proven to be more than adequate for general use. 750mb/s transfer speeds are more than acceptable on USB 3.0. That said, there are far more devices available for USB 3.0, and all older devices can already work with USB 3.0. I dont need to change *any* of my current USB 2.0 devices for USB 3.0 connectivity.... NOT the case with Thunberbolt.

Having said that, Thunderbolt is borderline already Firewire, but it most definitely will be.

The proper way around this is; supply all computers with both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt.

Regular consumers are not going to be bothered with another port when all older devices can work on USB 2.0 and 3.0, much more for the reason that most of them wont require anything more than faster speeds, which USB 3.0's 750mb/s is perfectly fine for.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
So, maybe by April 2012, someone will finally take my money and sell me an updated WiebeTech UltraDock drive dock and/or an updated NewerTech Voyager that adds Thunderbolt (with daisy chaining) to the FireWire and eSATA on the current versions.....

Last edited:

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Makes sense:

So USB 3.0, which is 10x faster than 2.0, is only good for USB 1.0 stuff (mice, keyboards)?!

Get real. USB 3.0 has been on the PC for well over a year now and literally hundreds of devices are 3.0 compliant while TB has what...literally 4 devices?!

I have 2 USB 3.0 drives and they absolutely fly compared to their 2.0 cousins. Even if USB 3.0 is merely 3x faster, that's still incredibly fast...that cuts my 160GB backup from a few hours to UNDER 1 hour. 3x the speed means 3x faster of course...so something taking 90 seconds now takes 30 seconds...or 30 minutes now taking 10 minutes.

Thunderbolt will be used by 1% of the world's consumers...just like Firewire. TB missed the boat on adoption.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Don't most devices barely use the 480 that that USB 2.0 uses?

What garuntees that USB 3.0 will be used fully, and not just up to a limit like USB 2.0 does.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
So, maybe by April 2012, someone will finally take my money and sell me an updated WiebeTech UltraCock drive dock and/or an updated NewerTech Voyager that adds Thunderbolt (with daisy chaining) to the FireWire and eSATA on the current versions.....

I did a search for UltraCock, but none of the NSFW hits had anything to do with computers. ;)

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
What I'm waiting for is for Apple to give us a thunderbolt option for all of their peripherals. As it stands, even they use USB for most things. To be perfectly honest though, the world is going towards wireless, not wired; I think that's why Apple isn't putting much effort into pursuing USB3 just like they're not putting much effort into pursuing BluRay. The physical port may in fact be going out the door. Even iDevices no longer need to by physically connected to anything but a charging port, provided you have AirPlay-compatible tech in the house. Thunderbolt is good for people who need high bandwidth connections, and those types of connections will probably never be able to go wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.