Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dklimma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
So last Friday, I decided to finally buy a clearance 15" low-end MBP for $1299, $400 off of the original MSRP at my university. I still haven't opened the package yet as I am now considering to return it for the upgraded 2010 15" MBP for $1699 at student discount price. Is the upgrade CPU/GPU/Battery Life upgrade worth it?

I'm not much of a gamer, but I will be playing Starcraft 2 once it comes out. Other than that, I will be using my MBP for basic stuff like word/excel, internet/email, photo editing, online poker, etc.

Although I think I got a reasonably good deal on my old 15" MBP, do you guys think it is it worth it to pay $400 extra for the new 15"? Is the 9400M graphics card good enough for SC2? I also plan on keeping my MBP until the end of its lifespan as I did with my 6 year old Powerbook...

Thanks

Dave

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
yes. the geforce 330m is a hell of a lot better than the 9400m. also, it will be a lot more futureproof, considering you have core i5, a decent discrete gpu, and a slightly better battery :)

mrgiapanta

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
OC, California
So last Friday, I decided to finally buy a clearance 15" low-end MBP for $1299, $400 off of the original MSRP at my university. I still haven't opened the package yet as I am now considering to return it for the upgraded 2010 15" MBP for $1699 at student discount price. Is the upgrade CPU/GPU/Battery Life upgrade worth it?

I'm not much of a gamer, but I will be playing Starcraft 2 once it comes out. Other than that, I will be using my MBP for basic stuff like word/excel, internet/email, photo editing, online poker, etc.

Although I think I got a reasonably good deal on my old 15" MBP, do you guys think it is it worth it to pay $400 extra for the new 15"? Is the 9400M graphics card good enough for SC2? I also plan on keeping my MBP until the end of its lifespan as I did with my 6 year old Powerbook...

Thanks

Dave

or why not save $200 by going new base 13" Macbook Pro? Don't like smaller screen?

dklimma

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
When does SC2 come out? I haven't played sc is a very very long time. zergling rush for the win!

From what blizzard has been saying, sometime this month..

and yes, zergling rushes were sweet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.