1299 macbook or the blackbook....which one should i get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kovy17, Mar 22, 2008.

1. kovy17 macrumors member

I need advice on which one to get. Right now i have a 12 inch powerbook G4. it has a 80 gig hd. At one point i had less the a gb left of storage but i deleted a lot of stuff some of which i wish i could of held onto. The only difference between these two are 160 gig hd and a 250 gig hd...and one is black. I just dont know how to' decide how much memory i will need black would be nice to have but is that and the memory worth the extra $. and will having a smaller hd slow the computer down at all? Thanks in advance.

2. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Right now I am saving my money for a blackbook. The best thing to do would probably get the top of the line regular macbook and upgrade the memory yourself. You can get 4gb for around $100. I really like the black color though but you do get a bigger hard drive with the blackbook. Just always upgrade the RAM yourself, it's easy and you'll save a ton of money.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

just decide if you'd rather have the black or white color because the hd on the mb is really easy to change. Also, upgrade the memory yourself when you need it, not from apple.

4. Jpoon macrumors 6502

If you can deal with the White Macbook scratching a bit easier than the BlackBook, then go with that. The HDD difference in space really doesn't amount to too much in my opinion.

Upgrading the RAM is a lot cheaper than doing it through Apple. Go to Crucial.com or Macsales.com (OWC computing) and get the 4 gig upgrade kit. Then again, 2 gigs is plenty. It's all up to what you need.

It's really what you want / need.

Having a smaller hard drive does not affect the overall speed performance of the computer.

5. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

The refurbished 2.2GHz Merom blackbooks were $1050 at the end of February when the new Penryn MacBooks went on sale, I think they lasted about a day. That's when I got mine. Indistinguishable from new, aside from the box it came in.

Keep checking the refurbished store at Apple.com to see if they show up again (or the 2.4Ghz Penryn blackbooks). Its personal preference, but I love the way the blackbooks look.

6. edcoche macrumors regular

edcoche

Go with the Blackbook! I was in the same situation as you not too long ago. The black macbook is much more gorgeous IMO. Then again, if money a big concern, then go with the white one. I still say make a few more sacrifices for the black one. You will not regret it. :cool:

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The BlackBook isn't a value-based choice, but that said, it is sexy. Only you know what that is worth to you...if anything.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I just got a new BlackBook with an open box discount at Best Buy. It was $50 more than the white (and yes, it's the 2.4 Penryn). It's awesome. The black coating is very nice and I don't feel like I'm going to scratch it if I touch it. I never thought I'd get a black one, but now that I have it, I'd buy another in a second.

9. lasuther macrumors 6502a

You can upgrade the hard drive on the white model for $100 making it exactly the same and the black MB but $100 cheaper. If money is an issue, just get the White MacBook and save. You can upgrade the hard drive before you buy it for $100, or just wait until you fill up the 160gig and replace it yourself.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

I did the same thing. When they hit the refurb store, the price difference basically disappears. The black was $1050 and the white was $1000, but the black still had the bigger HD (160 vs. 120 on the previous generation). So essentially there was no difference.

11. joeybagadonutz macrumors member