13" '10 Laggy, Bogs and stutters...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whyrichard, Aug 22, 2010.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I've got an early '10 2.26 13" macbook pro, the only upgrade to it so far has been a 500gb WD blue hd.

The thing has some persistent lags, stutters, and beachballs.... it's become a pain in the butt to use.

Sometimes typing, just typing, laggs and stutters. right now i have chrome, safari, adium, ical, evernote and skype open, and it still acts like an ancient computer.

i have verified and repaired the disk... no significant improvement. there were errors but they got repaired. ....

what is slowing down my computer? how to fix/diagnose it?

it "only" has 2 gigs of ram... should i install more?

thanks,

r.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Not to hog your post or anything, but my '09 has been pretty crappy as of late. It's a replacement, too.

I do a lot of cleaning with lots of different programs. Onyx, Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner, Disk Utility. I run them once every week to the fullest.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

none of these programs should be necessary... none of my other macs needed that type of maintenance....

how much ram to you have? should a 13" macbook pro be able to run minimal software well on 2 gigs of ram?!

r.

4. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

there is no early 2010 MBP13 with a 2.26ghz CPU and 2gb RAM. That is the late 2009 model. The mid 2010 model has a 2.4ghz CPU and 4gb ram.

2gb of ram might very well be a cause here, because it is barely enough. An upgrade to 4-8 gb might improve things a lot here.

5. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

:eek: Stupid question here: How did you clone the drive when you upgraded it?

If it wasn't cloned correctly, then it will lag as it searches all over for the data it needs.

6. pscraig macrumors member

The problem is your hard drive. Something in WD drives does not play well with some Macs-I have a 500GB WD as well and made it into an external backup drive because I had the same issues. I believe it has to do with a conflict in WD and Apple's shock sensing features, and the result is the drive stutters.

I replaced it first with a 500GB Fujitsu and most recently a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT and neither of these drives caused any problems.

7. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Sounds like your harddrive actually, if you dont need all that space, Id opt out for an ssd, and add ram. It should make it work 2x faster.

8. amt2002 macrumors member

Deffo hard drive. I had the same thing with that exact same drive - and notice I have the same system as you.

It was always powering down. Although it would power up in a second or two, it led to the system being really annoying to use.

I ended up putting the old one back in an investing in an external backup drive.

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

That's a sign of your hard drive dying.

It should be mentioned, I have upgraded quite a few Macs with WD drives, and I have not seen a general issue with them when used in Macs(besides quality maybe).

10. Covart Guest

It's not WD drives. I have a WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm 320GB drive and it works perfectly on one of my 2010 13" MBP's.

This issue sounds more like a bad clone copy or lack of memory due to the processes in use.

11. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

If I clean my MBP thoroughly with Onyx, SLCC, etc. and I still have constant beachballs and lockups, is mine dying, too? I ran TechTool Deluxe and it said nothing's wrong, although I know it isn't always accurate.

12. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i believe it was a fresh install... of a snow leopard disk...

r.

13. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

i also heard of this... and i heard somewhere that you can disable either the hd sensor or the built in mac sensor...

anyone know how to do this?
    r.

14. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

sudo pmset -a sms 0

15. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

damn, I was hoping you'd say that you just cloned it. ;) Then we'd know what the problem is. A fresh install should not behave that way.

16. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

just type that in terminal?

17. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

is it very risky to disable the sensor or just a little?

r.