Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZanatyH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2015
i'm sorry guys for the repeated question but i have to ask.
i've been a windows user for all of my life and played with linux every now and then but wasn't impressed at all so i decided to switch to the mac.
i stream alot of media content online beside the usual modern computing but the biggest need i have is watching media online mainly football [soccer] matches where the ball isn't that big.
i can't stroll to an apple store and try both as we don't have them in my country :)
what do you guys recommend for me ?

Last edited:

pjfan

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Columbus OH
If that's all you do, any Apple computer will do. I suggest that you stick to retina screens. The money you spend should solely be decided by storage requirements, in my opinion.

Do you travel a lot? What other apps do you depend on?

ZanatyH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2015
If that's all you do, any Apple computer will do. I suggest that you stick to retina screens. The money you spend should solely be decided by storage requirements, in my opinion.

Do you travel a lot? What other apps do you depend on?

thank you for replying, yes i'm intending to work overseas so portability may become a factor in the future.
as for apps only google chrome really, i only want a pro for the screen and my main concern with the screen on the 13 inch is how small the players will look on it.

pjfan

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
Columbus OH
I found that the 15" retina was awesome, but large when traveling. It was primarily due to the fact I use to carry the 13" MBA.

I think 13" rMBP is the one to get in your situation. If your eyes are poor and you can stand the added weight, maybe 15" is for you.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
thank you for replying, yes i'm intending to work overseas so portability may become a factor in the future.
as for apps only google chrome really, i only want a pro for the screen and my main concern with the screen on the 13 inch is how small the players will look on it.

The 13 inch will be the best for that use case. The detail will be greatfrom the retina screen and when you are inches from the screen as you are with a laptop it'll be fine (as long as you have the internet bandwidth to stream in HD).

Don't use chrome though it is very badly coded for OSX and drains the battery fast and slows the computer down terribly, safai is a much better optimised browser on the mac.

ZanatyH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2015
I found that the 15" retina was awesome, but large when traveling. It was primarily due to the fact I use to carry the 13" MBA.

I think 13" rMBP is the one to get in your situation. If your eyes are poor and you can stand the added weight, maybe 15" is for you.
yeah i think i'll go with the 13 as you recommended .. it's not much of a difference and my sight is still good so no problem .. thank you sir.

ZanatyH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2015
The 13 inch will be the best for that use case. The detail will be greatfrom the retina screen and when you are inches from the screen as you are with a laptop it'll be fine (as long as you have the internet bandwidth to stream in HD).

Don't use chrome though it is very badly coded for OSX and drains the battery fast and slows the computer down terribly, safai is a much better optimised browser on the mac.
Thank you for your advice.. I only use chrome because of Adcock, right or wrong I can't stand ads in websites and any streaming website.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thank you for your advice.. I only use chrome because of Adcock, right or wrong I can't stand ads in websites and any streaming website.

Safai has both Adblock and Adblock plus plugins available (as do all the major browsers) so just swap to that then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.