13/15 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hchaugen, May 27, 2019.

1. hchaugen macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

I recently retired my MBP from 2011 as the mobo died.. Having been on an iMac for the last 2-3 years I now have the need of a laptop instead.

I only do ‘office’ stuff at work, like word,ExCeL and browsing. But at home/traveling I’ll be casually playing some games like WoW etc.

What would you buy? A 13 inch base model, or a 15 inch? For me, speed is the most important. It needs to instantly fire up and be ready for work. The price isnt a gamechanger, but its hard to swallow the double pricetag..
    If I move up on the ladder of the 13inch , I’m allmost on the 15inch price..

What do you recommend?

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

It's really case of prioritizing portability, price, and performance.

The 15" is far more capable, especially for gaming, but it's less portable and more expensive.
    The 13" is much easier to carry about but really not great for gaming. Although "casual" gaming you might be ok.

I use a 13". I don't play games on it though, I use a PS4. I do take it in my backpack several days each week.

3. buran-energia macrumors regular

I'd get the 15 first to see if I'd be OK with the size. But then the 15 inch also have expensive upgrades like Vega 20 GPU for which you need to choose the mid model to begin with.

4. Christian 5G, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019

Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

I think ‘15 in your case will be the best pick. Considering you don’t do too much of travel or walk around otherwise it might become a bit inconvenient. But since you mentioned home, then I believe it will be used more on a table.

For example in my case I really wanted the 15 inch but realized that since I spend summers backpacking I can’t afford that extra weight and size.

Speed and overall performance does not bother me even a bit that some claim the 15 is way better. The size of the ‘15 and my daily routine just do not fit my criteria. I also have multiple 27 inch external monitors that I use so it really has no effect on me.

You always have the 2 weeks period if you change your mind.

5. lwilliams macrumors 6502

lwilliams

My first small laptop was when I bought a new MBP 13 Retina in Dec. 2012. I though tit was really great. And it was.

But, in Feb, I replaced it with a new MBP 15. Went to the top of line model. Wow, I am so pleased.

As an IT Director, I sit in front of two 24" HD monitors 8 hours a day. So, the 15" display is a lot better for me than the 13" was. Plus the rest of the hardware is "better" than the 13" model.

6. kp98077 macrumors 6502a

kp98077

sounds like for yours needs the 15" for sure, you are like me - I like something snappy. and the truth is the 15 is not that much larger IMO - if you are going to put something in your briefcase and backpack a few times a week you should be good....noting is like the 15" screen and speed.