13, 15 or 17 - which has most uptake

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Magpie-23, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Magpie-23 macrumors member

So I was just curious as to which size MBP is most popular with the MBP buying public. :confused:
    ...I don't mean what is your favourite, or which would you have if budget was unlimited,....just which one sells more.
    Please vote for which model you have.
    Thanks in advance for your response.

----------

BTW, as a newbie, where is the option to create a poll when you add a new post?

2. miles01110, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2012

miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why are you buying for resell value? Determine your needs and buy the best one that fits those needs. Since it doesn't seem like you need anything beyond the entry-level 13" MBP I'd suggest that or a Macbook Air.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I imagine the 13" sells more, but may I ask why you need to know? Its not for resale value, is it? :eek:

4. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I think he's asking which model sells more, not sells for more. But isn't resale value a common factor one considers when making a substantial investment? I know it's a pretty big selling point for automobiles.

I believe (could be wrong) that the 13" is the most popular MBP, probably due to its low price point and accessibility.

5. kolax macrumors G3

I'd like a 14" widescreen MacBook Pro.

I own a 15" and love the screen real estate, but it isn't as portable as the 13". I use an external monitor when at my desk, though I do sometimes find 1280x800 too little for a 13".

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The 13'' MBP sells most as far as I know. The MBAs are catching up quickly.

7. Magpie-23, Feb 8, 2012

Magpie-23 thread starter macrumors member

Obviously didn't make my question clear enough. I wanted to know which model sells the most. i.e. which is the most popular. Nothing to do with re-sale value.

----------

I was just curious. I have no interest in resale value.

I own a 17 inch and a 13 inch. I noticed in this forum that a lot of people have the 15. I wondered if there were more of the 15 out there than the 13....I figured the 17 would be least popular as its more of a desktop replacement. (it's my favourite though).

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The 15" would be the most popular judging from people I know. I have a 17" and as much as I love it, it's heavy to cart about.

The 15" has adequate real estate for most needs, and is a lot lighter.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I did misread your question initially but upon re-reading it's still pointless. Macrumors members are not necessarily representative of "the general public." Voting for which model you have does not translate into which one sells more for the general public.

According to some light Googling, the Macbook Airs are the best-selling portables as of about 2 quarters ago. You may be able to find more up-to-date statistics, but the trend is probably the same.

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I think the 13" is the most popular by a big margin. Because all the fanboys & girls that just want a mac but have little or no clue why other than that it is Apple and hip usually only by the low end 13" MBP.
    I only know very few with 15" fewer with 17". 13" is the mainstream notebook.
    I never saw a 15" with anybody who doesn't do "serious" work with it. The 13" users are mostly students that primarily need facebook, browsing and office but nothing beyond that. It is clearly the mainstream though.

11. Magpie-23, Feb 8, 2012

Magpie-23 thread starter macrumors member

And there in lies the reason that I probably won't be bothered to post again. You ask a simple question on a forum and get ripped apart.

Half the stuff on here is pointless if you analyse it. Mac owners are supposed to be a community. I was only curious as to which MBP is the top seller...

----------

Thanks for your opinion. I tend to concur. Hopefully it's ok to speculate between ourselves as Mac owners without being branded as being pointless.

12. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Or the tech folks that know if you're not pushing it from a graphics standpoint it'll take about whatever you throw at it.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

For the most part, we welcome user questions. Please don't let one grumpy poster tarnish your view of the whole community here.

14. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

We're not all like that, I don't see the problem with asking questions.

I use a 15" and my brother bought one on my recommendation. I only remember seeing one other 15" in public. Honest.

The vast majority of the models I see are 13". The plastic ones seemed reasonably common up until last year, now I almost never see them. Never seen a 17".

I agree with what was said above about most people just getting the cheapest Mac they can find. I think some people are just buying into the image and others really don't require much out of their computer but want OSX. What strikes me as weird is that most people who buy PCs tend to get 14" or higher whereas majority of Mac users have a 13". Seems like a big compromise has been made.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'm new here & have experienced the same reception. Being used to other forums where having an open exchange & conversation is the norm, for some reason one is attacked or criticized for sharing an honest personal experience.

It appears it's best to avoid attempting to have an enjoyable conversation. It's likely that there is some unspoken code in place. Who knows, I guess time will tell.

16. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Originally had the 15" but since it has more weight to it, and it was much bigger to carry around, I went to the 13" 3 years ago and it works extremely well for me, however it is all what you personally Like or Don't Like.

I think the 13" is the most popular, however I do not have any numbers to prove it.

17. Magpie-23 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the encouraging words regarding posting...

Strangely enough between opening this post and now I have managed to agree a trade with a work colleague of my 13 inch MBP for his late 2011 mac mini...I will still have my 17 inch...and as I was struggling to justify having 2 MBPs, I'll now have the 17 and a media server. Sound like a decent trade? It's the base model mini.....

18. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what year was your 13"?

you made that trade without consulting with the mac community?

20. Magpie-23 thread starter macrumors member

Base model 13, late 2011 refresh. + 8GB RAM
    Base model mini, latest 2011 refresh (when Lion was released I think). + 8GB RAM.

Financially I know it doesn't add up. But I never expected to sell the MBP when it is only 4 or 5 months old and I reckon I'd get £700 max on e-bay, but cant be bothered with the aggro of selling through e-bay. (I sold a 2010 MBA on there and it was painful).

The mini is only 2 months old and this way I'll have two macs that I will use for very different needs. The mini will hook up to a 40 inch Samsung HD TV.

Why did I have two MBPs? Long story but in a nutshell the 17 inch is usually desk tied and the 13 inch was meant to replace the old Air I had but was effectively retired by my iPad2.

21. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

All good...You have at least a years warranty (or minus 2 months ) too.

22. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Don't be discouraged by 'some' forum members.

You're absolutely right. This is the way things are on MacRumors now. If you ask a question, out of your own general interest, instead of people simply being 'nice' and offering their opinion or not saying anything at all you get a barrage of insulting replies, "why ask such stupid question, or oh oh are you trying to gauge resale value :eek:, or buy a computer based on your own needs and don't dare ask someones opinion or experience, the list goes and on and on and on ....

I and MANY others understand your frustration with the growing number of smart-assed, rude, antagonizing and demeaning posts. There are too many people who join, ask a question and then get insulted and side railed so much they never come back. That just adds support to the idiots here, don't do that.

Using the ignore button will help eliminate seeing posts by the full time 'piss on your day crew' that exists here. For the others, try and take the high road and don't play into their misery. It takes quite a person I think to sit full time writing antagonizing posts on a forum day in and day out.

In one way maybe it's the way of the world now. Too many unhappy people with too much time on their hands, leading crap lives who elect themselves to be full time forum antagonists making it their goal to make others as miserable as they are themselves. Sad.

It did not used to be this way. This was one of the friendliest helpful forums out there, but 'wow' has that changed.

It's still a great forum, best Mac forum out there IMO and if you hang around you'll notice who's really helpful and you'll find out fast who isn't. Just ignore the idiots and for sure feel free to ask any question you want. There's still lots of nice people out there, its just harder to sort through the rude posts to find them.

'If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything' - losers don't get that.

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

To me, it sounds like a great trade for your colleague.

If it were me, I'd sell the 13" MBP outright (especially with the specs you listed) and buy a brand new Mini...but that's just me.

I do agree that two laptops is probably not the best idea. In my experience it's more trouble than it's worth.

24. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i also agree with this you could of sold the 13" for about 200-300 more than the price of a new Mini

25. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Well said! lets hope for improvement too!