13, 15, or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deliriumxy, Nov 30, 2016.

1. deliriumxy macrumors member

I've probably bought into the hype. I tried out the 13" base tbMBP, and enjoyed using it. However, I returned it after fixing my late 2011 MBP, which I use for work as an app developer.

For a while I was set on buying a 13" tbMBP w/ 16 gb RAM, 512 gb SSD, but backed out, reasoning that next year would offer a spec bump, maybe a price drop, maybe other goodies, and my old laptop is still functioning fine for now.

Still, having played with the new machines I know what I'm missing out on. The screen is better than what I have now, I like the keyboard, the form factor, the sound, the CPU, etc.

I was also considering maybe the base 15" model, since it's only about $150 more than the 13" I wanted, and it comes with a bigger screen, quad core, and a dGPU.

This is very much a *want* purchase, as I could use my existing laptop for at least another year. Any thoughts? (I'm tired of overthinking this, but the purchase price is high, and it would be for work.)

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

I for one will wait for the next update. I've already been looking to get a new one (a 15" retina) for the past +2 years (I'm using a 1st gen 13" retina on a daily basis), so I can easily wait another ~6 months or so. I simply don't feel that this one is worth getting at the moment... not because of the price, but the overall specs, the unreasonably large trackpad and especially the touch bar (fingers crossed they'll start selling a non-touch bar 15" model with the next update). PS: I'm a software engineer and I love (need) my functions keys just the way they are...