13"/15" portability

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rk25123, Aug 18, 2010.

1. rk25123 macrumors regular

I'm choosing between a 13" and a 15" to bring always with me. I would like an advice from someone who had both. Is the 13" much more comfortable to carry around, or is the 15" fine? Would I miss the more screen space a lot?

2. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Generally bigger means fastervand easier and smaller means lighter and easier to carry. It's hard to say for sure as it depends on your usage. How are you planning to use it?

3. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I've had both and the 15 is a pain in the ass to carry... I used to take my laptop to class everyday but the 15 was just too much on my back. I swapped for a 13' and got an iPad as a surprise shortly after doh! Broke my 13 inch last week and got another 15. But it will NOT be leaving the house this go around.

4. Syonidism macrumors regular

ive had no problems with the 15 inch mbp taking it literally everywhere i go.

I dont even care about my phone anymore.

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I had a 13" all through college and just got a 15" now. The 15" is a bit harder to transport, you need a bigger bag. But for what I do with CS5 I would rather have the extra screen space and speed of the i7 than the extra portability.

I'd say it mainly depends on what you do with your computer and where you want to do it. I'd say the weight difference doesn't matter as much to me as the size difference, the 15" just has a bigger profile when you put it in something to carry.

6. rk25123 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for your advices.
    I would use this mainly for entertainment purposes, and I'd carry it always with me (that's why I'm leaning towards the 13"). I'm waiting for the next refresh since I don't need it immediately, and if they won't come out with something comparable to this http://www.sony.it/product/vnp-s-series/vpcs12v9e-b with a bit more pixels, I'll go for a 15" or the Vaio. Heavy work would take place on my Mac Pro and big displays, but when I'm away from it I would like to be able to fairly use Adobe CS5 and CAD programs on the MBP.

7. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

It's really not that tough to carry around with you (the 15") its only 1 pound more than the 13" but much more powerful and I personally think the 13" screen is too cramped especially for CS5. Test them out at the Apple store and see which feels more comfortable to you. Also the graphics card in the VAIO you linked still isn't as good as the 13", let alone the 15".