13-17" mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook pro i5, May 17, 2012.

1. macbook pro i5, May 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012

macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Hi I will be buying the 2013 haswell MBP's and would like to know if 17" is a good idea,I currently have a 13" early 2011 MBP and I just find the screen to small to view things and I want have two programs running side by side its so annoying!

Any one that had a 13" MBP but then later on got a 17"?

2. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

Well not exactly:)
    I have a private 13" MBP and 13" white Macbook and a business 17" MBP - it's an old model, the 1st with Intel.
    Anyways, I can't imagine working on a 13", since I have a couple of apps opened at once: Catalox for copy input, Lotus notes, Adobe Bridge, Indesign, safari, word, excel, powerpoint. And the 17" screen is the only way to go with all this.
    Whereas at home I use computers for my private stuff, so the 13" is absolutely enough for Safari, Word etc and I use my TV to play movies either from the MBPs or from my hackintosh desktop.
    So in your case it seems that 17" is a good idea - then again art directors at my company often use 17" MBPs and plug them into external displays - using only the external. Print production team on the other hand uses the same set, but they take advantage of both the MBP screen and the external LCD display since they need more space. So it obviously depends on what you need. If you don't care much for mobility - I mean "easy" mobility of 13", since the 17" is still mobile, though not that convenient to move around - then get a 17". If you care for mobility then maybe go with the 13" and an external display. And if you don't want to spend extra $ on the display then using your TV may also be a good idea depending on working conditions that gives you - I have my TV far from my desk, so it's not to comfortable working on it.
    PS. I bought my 13" MBP just hours ago, but before making a decision I was considering getting the 15" model. But when I compared them at Apple store I came to a conclusion that the 13" will be sufficient for my usage (I have the 2,8 GH version) and more mobile than the 15" since it fits into the laptop bag I already own:) I travel regularly from the city that work in to my place of birth, so the 13" is perfect for me. Plus doing the things I usually do at home don't require that much computing power, therefore I felt that buying the 15" would be just a waste of its potential, since I have my business MBP for the hard work.
    So there hope that helps in any way.

3. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Well I have college and I don't want to lug the 17" around if it is gonna be to heavy,but I still need a larger screen for safari and pages,Photoshop is also used and I think any thing but the 13" is ideal.

4. LachlanH macrumors regular

So....15"?

5. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Is it good,as in screen estate I mean its only 2" bigger:confused:

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

It depends on what you do though.

Like for me, I needed screen size.
    I do photo editing, video editing, multiple web windows, etc outside my house or reach of my iMac 27in.

I use my MBP 17in a lot more outside now due to the huge screen size and power.
    To me, weight is not a big problem. I mean, its only like 3kg.

I still own my old school PowerBook G4 12in and if I compare to that, the screen size is magnificent.
    And the resolution, 1920x1200, you cant get those on any other MBP ;)

7. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

What about light photoshopping 1 safari page next to a pages page,15" or 17"?

8. dutchnewbie macrumors regular

So 17" is only 4" bigger... Why think about a 17" if you don't like to lug it with you???

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Well, it depends if you need more than 13" worth of screen real estate, and can live with the extra 1+ kg of weight.

Only you can answer those questions.

10. mac-collector macrumors regular

mac-collector

Why buy Haswell when you know Skylake will be just around the corner? You just know you will be upset when they release the new one.

11. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

The 15" high res option is a good way to get more screen real estate

12. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

:rolleyes: My upgrade plan is every two years.

13. iAppleseed macrumors regular

I have a 13" and took a demo at the Apple Store of the 17" and I can say that it is perfect! It's greatly huge. Just imagine filling that screen with HD movies or Games or Apps. I'm getting one as soon as they release the new MBP

14. yusukeaoki, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would still prefer the 17in.
    Safari on left side while working on photo on the right.
    You cant really do that efficiently with the 15in.

15. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

2013 high res 17" MacBook Pro here I come:D

16. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Congrats! Cant wait till 2013 huh? :D

17. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Nope:D

18. edk99 macrumors 6502a

It sounds like using the 13" is a pain now for you and you are going to wait another year+ for a 17" MBP?? We don't even know if they are going to produce a 2012 17" let alone a 2013 17".

Why not sell your 13" and find a reburb 17" that fits your needs now.

19. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Have you considered a 13" for portability with an external monitor for when you're at your desk/kitchen table/pile of beer cases in the dorm room?

If you plan on doing any sort of Photoshop work with accurate colour reproduction, an external monitor is a big plus.

20. underblu macrumors regular

I think the 17" is great and I found little difference portability wise between it and the !5" MBP I used previously.

If I was going for ultimate portability I'd just get the MBA. If cost was an issue and I wanted to get a solid workhorse I'd probably go for the base 15" Otherwise I think the 17" is really the top tier MBP and a real portable powerhouse. I love mine and use it everywhere.

21. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I went from a 13" to a 15" (with the high-res option) and it feels like an anchor. I've also got a 27" iMac with an additional monitor when I want the screen real estate.

But who knows what the 2013 models will be like. It's way too soon for this question.

22. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

18 posts later and finally somebody offers up a solution that's the best of both worlds. Amazing.

There are times I have a 27" mac at home via external monitor and then a 13" when on the go.

23. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

It's not that I don't want to I just can't do that it will be to much of a hit because it's dented so like 300(nz) dollars of and I have To save up for it:(

----------

I've considered it but my room really doesn't have the space for the monitor that I need.although Ihave one at home that I use.

24. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Condition rarely matters with these, as long as everything works. The worsts is when it has suffered a drop and something is hugely dented or the keys are messed up. But if it has a few minor dents and scrapes, many people would still pay good money for it.

25. macbook pro i5 thread starter macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Oh it has a fairly big dent on one corner ut everything works super good.