13" 2.26 GHz MBP + PS CS4 (Memory Question)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TeeBoi, Nov 1, 2009.

1. TeeBoi macrumors newbie

Hi I'm new to these forums, and new to the Mac world in general.

I'm currently in the market for a 13" MBP. I have done some research and have narrowed down my purchase to the 2.26 GHz unit. I will be using this MBP for a lot of large file (25 mb) photo and HD video editing. I will be using Photoshop CS4 for photo editing. I'm a total beginner when it comes to video editing, so I'm not sure what program I'll be using here. I've been using Vegas Video on my PC, but I'll have to do more research in this department.

My question is, Will 4gb of ram be enough to support CS4 seamlessly or will I need to get 8gb? If you suggest I get 8gb, would installing the memory myself void any warranties?

Thank you for your time, it's greatly appreciated.

-tyler

2. OceanView macrumors 65816

adding memory does not void the warranty.
    4GB will work but 8 GB is better.
    Just a bit pricey though.

3. dlo604 macrumors member

I've been running CS3 on the same uMBP you're speaking of and it's great. No sluggish results. I have to say though the pixel grid helps a lot in CS4 as opposed to CS3.

4. brendu macrumors 68020

4 gigs of ram is enough, 8 would be great but its way too expensive right now... go for 4 and then up it to 6 or 8 in a couple years.

5. Nuge macrumors newbie

I have Photoshop CS4 on my 2.26GHz MBP and it runs fine, I have 2gb of memory too, you just can't be running too many apps or programs at the same time or it will slow down performance.

4gb would be the perfect amount to still multitask and run PS at the same time, plus PS gives you the option to choose how much memory you want to distribute into PS.

6. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

It's stupid to buy 8gb of ram for, what, $600 right now. You'd be much, much better off buying 4gb of ram and an Intel X-25m 160gb for $550 or so.

Upgrade to 8gb in 18 months or so when it's less than $100.

7. TeeBoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you folks for all the informative responses. Looks like I'll be able to save some money and opt for the 4gb upgrade.

-tyler