13" 2.26 MBP vs 13" 2.0 Macbook (older model)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by turnstylez18, Jun 10, 2009.

1. turnstylez18 macrumors regular

I'm planning to get my girlfriend a mac for her birthday.

I was thinking of getting her the new entry level 2.26ghz macbook "pro" for 1299.00 CDN (w/ the education discount)

or getting the previous gen macbook 2.0 ghz aluminum unibody for 1099.00 CDN

I know she will not be upgrading..ram.. etc...she just desperately needs a new laptop since she doesnt have one..
    she will not be an in-depth user...something just to browse the net..get some work done on windows using bootcamp...etc...

what should I get? going refurb will save me 200 cdn but I wouldnt mind spending more if its worth it...

btw...my current blackbook is a refurb so i know what to expect from it...also
    will i be charged customs or duties from ordering a refurb from apple.ca
    I forgot if i got charged with my refurb but I do know it came from california..

thanks

2. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Shes i girl , so i would get her the new macbook pro , it comes with a sd card reader she will love it

3. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Get the 2.0

And chances are even that's overkill for her

4. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

just thinking about it..i may get the refurb...but i was also looking at the 2.4 refurb...which sells for 1249 cdn...

the only difference is the bigger hd and illuminated keyboard...and obviously the processor..which is not big of a difference..
    this is about 150 cdn more..

im planning to order right now...just wanna know if the 2.0 refurb is the best choice...all i know it is the cheapest option...(she doesnt want the white one)

5. rakbook macrumors newbie

Don't forget the new 7hr battery in the 13" MBPro

You should get the 2hrs additional battery life in the new model.

6. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

i just ordered the refurb 2.0ghz unibody macbook...

pretty happy with the purchase since it cost me much less...

if it were for myself i would have given it more thought..but this is for my gf...so she shouldnt be picky in the first place...:D

thanks

7. zunairryk macrumors regular

you could have also gotten that free ipod touch if u bought the new MBP, and then sell it for $200 + , so in the end for same price u could have gotten the brand new MBP with 7 hrs of battery life. oh well it wasnt for u anyways lol

8. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

i have thought about that but im not a student..i would have to get a friend to do it for me..and i wasnt sure if my friend would have to do the rebate as well..
    seemed like a hassle...

as well i dont wanna pay more dollars up front...

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I would have suggested the new 2.26, as it has backlight keyboard (extremely useful and uber looking), much longer battery life, SD card reader and a better screen, but seeing that you have already ordered.... :)

10. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

seems like i made the wrong choice...only issue is that i would have to cough up the extra $200 (or around 500CDN up front if i get the ipod) just to get the newer macbook...

only reason i like the refurb is that it is cheaper and i had my mind set on it b4 the updates came out...now its 100 cheaper than i was originally going to get it for...

only thing i missed out on was the illuminated keyboard and battery..but for the extra 200 not sure if its worth it..

i ordered it last night..should i cancel and just get the newer macbook? can i even cancel? is there a time limit?

11. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

i just called in to try to cancel...but it is prepared for shipment...so the rep couldnt cancel it..

she said she could request for a return so when i receive i send it back and get a refund

i would still have to think about it but looks like ill be keeping it....and i save 200 which i can use for something else...

12. syamauchi5 macrumors newbie

I would just keep 2.0.
    Doesn't souldn't like you are made of money, and 1099 is already too much for a gift.

13. turnstylez18 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! i feel better about my purchase...lol...ive made up my mind...keeping the 2.0...i shouldnt complain...its not even for me..