13" 2.26 vs 2.53 how much time for example task

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by riffssco, Jul 28, 2009.

1. riffssco macrumors newbie

Hi There

I've read some of the other posts on similar topics but wondered if someone could help me with specifics about task times.

I'm about to buy one of the 13" macbook pros but can't decide whether I'll notice the difference between the 2.26 or 2.53 models. I'll be getting 4gb of RAM in both and upgrading to Snow Leopard when it is released.

The only application I can think of that I use that might show a difference is doing renders in Final Cut Express.

Can anyone tell me what sort of time difference I could expect if i was exporting a 5 minute HD clip to something like an mp4 file on both of these models to give me some sort of reference point so i can decide if I think it is worth the extra cash. Would it be like 2 mins difference, 10 secs, 30 minutes?

Thanks

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Wild Guess

3-8% faster, based on assumptions of processor usage, bus limitations, and totally guessing.

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The processor won't matter as much as the hard drive. The hard drive will limit almost all tasks done by the computer.

If you are really doing serious video work, a MBP isn't what you want.

5. moral-hazard macrumors regular

For what its worth:

My 13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Xbench score (no hard drive test): 193.5
    Friends 13" MacBook Pro 2.52GHz Xbench score (no hard drive test): 198

My stance on the "low-end" vs "high-end" MBP battle is:
    High end is $300 more for not that much more performance. $300 can buy you an SSD and 4GB of ram for the low end model, which will then easily blow the high end out of the water. Also - its a laptop. If you want power, buy an i7 Desktop.

6. nutritious macrumors 6502

If you're that much into video, look into a Mac Pro. The processor difference between the low-end 13" MBP and high-end really is negligible

7. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

The OP has stated that he wants an example using final cut express hinting that this probably isn't his profession but more of a hobby or side project!

What is your current machine as that will decide whether it wil actually make a real world diffrence or not! As from a 2.4ghz MacBook there will be little difference

8. riffssco thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I won't be using it for serious video work and I need a notebook rather than a desktop but thanks for the suggestions.

It is just a hobby mainly. I'm currently using a 2ghz intel core 2 duo white macbook with 2gb of ram.

I'm guessing which ever one I go for will show a big improvement.

The 2 things I notice most with my current macbook is that it takes about 15 seconds to open word and about 7 minutes to render a 5 minute FCE project and I wondered if there would be much difference on that front between both of the 13"ubmp models

9. moral-hazard macrumors regular

I wouldn't bet on it. The performance difference between a 2.0GHz C2D mobile and a 2.26 or 2.5GHz C2D mobile is definitely real, but don't expect a blistering speed difference. I personally have not noticed a big difference between my Sony Vaio with the 2.0GHz T7200 and my new MBP.