13" 2.26ghz - is 4gb ram upgrade worth it??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brushedred, Jun 27, 2009.

1. brushedred macrumors newbie

2. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

I think I really don't need 4GB of RAM either. I was probably going to upgrade it, but it seems almost not worth it for what I use a computer for.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

I would do it. I think most people that buy MBP's tend to increase the stock RAM. If you are doing photo editing, in an application such as Aperture, I would recommend upgrading the RAM to 4GB. It will also make the computer run a little quicker, especially when multi-tasking. Lots of applications, such as Safari, use a lot of CPU/RAM, so the more, the better! You don't have to do it right away, but if you find that the speed is getting sluggish and you are doing more photo editing, it may be time for that upgrade!

4. Mactagonist macrumors 6502a

4gb of RAM is dirt cheap from Crucial. 2gb will likely be adequite, but 4 will give you both room for your use to grow and freedom from having to worry about having too many apps or large images open.

5. silentsage macrumors member

I have an MBP 13" 2.26 GHz laptop. I upgraded the memory to 4 GB and it made a definite difference in performance.

My daughter runs Sims 3 and upgrading to 4 GB made a big difference for that game. It is a memory hog. (Though I must admit that she loves the game and probably pushes it to a higher level than most).

If memory were expensive it might not be worth it, but right now upgrading to 4 GB is probably the easiest way to add performance for little cost.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think right now, 4GB of RAM is the sweet spot for most users and many don't really know how much that really is and what it can do for you. Before I upgraded to 4GB, I was cutting it really close to the 2GB with Safari, iTunes, Entourage and Photoshop or Word/Pages and I noticed that I was getting paged out. RAM is probably the best thing you can upgrade in a computer.

7. zsnow macrumors regular

I found 4G is very useful when I use vmware fusion. Open some web pages and let fusion running, I only got few hundreds memory left.

8. CPPMaster macrumors member

FYI:

2.53GHz 4GB 250GB HD

GeekBench Version 2.1.2: 3440

Attached Files:

9. yahoodlums macrumors member

It's totally worth it because its such a cheap upgrade.

10. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

You can answer that question for yourself, just open up activity monitor and see how much RAM you are using and if you get any page outs. I will often stay under 2GB but if I do any heavy work I am usually running at about 3GB and I am not doing any photo/video work or gaming. So I could probably fill up the 4GB if I tried.
    It only cost me like ~$50 so I think it was totally worth it.