13" 2.26GHz or 2.54GHz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crisito, Jun 15, 2009.

1. crisito macrumors regular

I currently have a 24" iMac with 2.4GHz.

I have decided to get a MacBook Pro 13" with an external monitor.

I now need to decide between the two 13" MacBook Pros...

Would the basic 2.26GHz MacBook be enough for me or would it be too much of a difference switching from a 2.4GHz iMac?

I use it for essays, web browsing, emails, music and light photoshop work.

Thanks for your advice.

2. qpid macrumors regular

go with the slower one and use the money saved on ram

3. Joruus macrumors member

I would say go for the fastest CPU when you want a desktop.. but for a notebook get the one with the best tdp, if both cpus have the same tdp get the faster one, if you are low on cash get of course the slower one :)

4. statik13 macrumors regular

My vote is to go for the less expensive model. You can always add a 3rd party hard drive and RAM. Plus the 12-15% speed increase wouldn't really be noticeable in day to day usage.

5. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

How do I check the TDP?

Yes, I am planning on buying additional 2GB RAM so that will increase the RAM to that of the more expensive model anyway. I'm not sure I would want to install a third party HD, but that may not be necessary anyway.

It is the processor speed that is concerning me really.

6. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

im doing the same.The ram will suffice for me since I already have an imac with all my main stuff on there so dont really the need the extra hdd.

will thirdparty rams work with the new macbook pros? which companies are reasonably priced?

7. Joruus macrumors member

8. Migwellious macrumors newbie

third party RAM and HD's are the way to go, never, ever pay Apple prices for either, all parts work with Macs and cost considerably less.

I'm updating my white macbook to a 320Gb drive and 4Gb crucial RAM shortly.Always use crucial RAM , it's guaranteed to work, excellent returns policy for duff sticks too. www.crucial.com

( not sure which to do first though RAM or HD - hd me thinks !)

Less than half the cost of Apple for the same items, nice computers Apple but no thanks on the RAM and HD ...waaay overpriced..

~m

9. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I'm probably going to get the lower end one, but what about the processor?

10. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

Putting in a new HD, does it void the warranty?Also, can you get a 7200rpm HD or Sata for the 13" mbp?Or are there limitations on what you can and cannot install regarding HD.

11. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I was in the same boat as I am currently selling my Mac Pro. I am getting the 2.26Ghz version and upgrading with a SSD(Corsair) and 4GB RAM(OWC). Should turn it into a little speedy laptop. Now if they would just fix the whole SATA issue. Any suggestions for a 128GB SSD?

12. emigrant macrumors newbie

13. analytical44 macrumors regular

Why isn't anyone addressing the OPs question? Stop trying to hijack the thread for your own discussions.

From what I've gathered there is only a marginal differnce between the 2.26 and the 2.53. For your needs, I don't believe you would be able to notice a difference between the two. Please someone correct me on this if I am wrong though.

14. Joruus macrumors member

So well, both are 25W tdp.. if you dont mind spending more cash get the faster one then, it maybe even gets you better battery life? (calculates stuff faster with the same power usage)

15. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

i say go with the higher one as you can't upgrade the CPU

16. haoqfu macrumors regular

2.26Ghz will be sufficient for your need. i don't understand why ppl crying for faster and faster cpus. how much of them are really benefiting from the extra speed? for 80% of average user, current cpu is way beyond their need. i used to be a geek who always wants the fastest hdd & cpu when i set up my own pc. but then i realized it was just being childish, like a kid who always wants the best toy. if you are not using the full power, you are not just wasting your own money, you are also wasting the resource.

so i would suggest go with the lower spec., i'm pretty sure it will satisfy your need. :)

17. Joruus macrumors member

When the 2.26 uses 25w and the 2.53 too, then i dont know why you would want a 2.26 :(

18. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Quite the opposite, actually. 25W is the maximum, actual power usage depends on real CPU usage. That's why "heavy usage" or "light usage" (as in kinds of things you do on your computer) directly reflects on battery life and CPU temperature. Power usage isn't linear to the speed CPU runs at, so there'll probably be differences in battery life, likely negligible in this case (and in favor of 2.26).

19. Joruus macrumors member

In the end, get what you want :p

20. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

I'm a speed junkie, and I wholeheartedly recommend getting the faster 2.53 GHz CPU. :D:cool::D

21. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

You will be fine with the slower one. The increase in speed won't be noticeable.

22. Joruus macrumors member

For gaming needs, got a First gen Alu iMac with a Radeon 2600hd, the Nvidia 9400M in the new MBP 13" are half as fast.

23. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input, I won't be gaming much, so I'm leaning towards the lower end one.

24. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I'd say future proof yourself and go with the higher end one. The lower one is slower than the aluminum MacBooks, so I'd want something faster.

25. Smoothie macrumors 6502

I'm lazy. I opted for the 2.53 GHz configuration so I don't have to unscrew the base to add memory. :) I agree that the faster CPU will probably not be noticeable for most tasks. I was hoping to add a SSD someday, but the other thread about reduced SATA bus speed is discouraging.