Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elee888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Hi everyone,

I've been debating whether or not to upgrade my 3 year old 15" Macbook Pro that has a 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo (Santa Rosa) to the new 13" 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro. FYI... My current system also has 4GB of RAM. Since both systems are Core 2 Duo, what kind of speed bump am I going to see? Would this be a substantial upgrade?

elee888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks for the quick replies. So would this be a serious downgrade then? I want a new laptop with longer battery life. I could buy a new battery for my older model but the old MBP batteries don't last very long compared to models of today.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks for the quick replies. So would this be a serious downgrade then? I want a new laptop with longer battery life. I could buy a new battery for my older model but the old MBP batteries don't last very long compared to models of today.

If you want a better battery, it's worth it. As Eidorian said, it won't be a performance upgrade, more like a downgrade as you now have better GPU

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
The new models run a bit cooler and feel a bit more robust. But otherwise I can't think of a good reason to make the switch. I'd just buy a 2nd battery for your Santa Rosa, that way you'd have 5-6 hours total just like a 13" MBP. The SRs are nice machines, I'm a little bit jealous of people who have them.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Why is the 8600M a "gamble" or playing Russian Roulette?

Because 8600M GT has has extremely high failure rates and some people are saying that all 8600M GTs are defective, meaning that sooner than later it'll fail. Read Eidorian's link, it gives you the idea why it's like Russian Roulette

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.