13" 2.4 or 2.66? Is it worth the $300???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parrothead123, May 23, 2010.

1. parrothead123 macrumors newbie

So, I really want to get a MBP and think I have narrowed it down to the 13" since portability is key for me and I want to try to keep it afordable. I will be using it a lot for preparing presentations, surfing, e-mail, photos (iphoto from dSLR) and making home movies in imovie (1080i from Sony HDR-SR8). I need some advice. Do you think a 13" 2.4 would suffice? Should I spend the $300 on upgrading the RAM to 8gb? Or should I step up to the i5? Thanks for any advice.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The low-end is fine for you. That 300$ is for almost nothing, you should then pay some more to get i5. Spend the money on SSD instead

3. PsychOfMSE macrumors member

Adding an SSD will give you much more performance than stepping up the processor.

Go for an SSD 100%.

4. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

if u have the extra cash, go with the 2.4ghz 15" with an ssd! otherwise i think your current choice should be alright.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Given that you're looking to do some more high-end stuff, it might pay off to go the high road and get the 2.66GHz. Here's why:

The 2.4GHz is a great machine, don't get me wrong. In fact, even when you're doing 1080i video editing or organizing high resolution photos, the 2.4GHz is a fine computer. But let's say that 3-4 years down the road, you're still doing the same things (HD editing, etc.) — you might be needing a larger hard drive by that point. On top of that, more speed is going to be more helpful particularly as your computer ages.

Now, going the i5 route with a 15" MacBook Pro, you probably would see a difference (faster machine, better graphics card, larger screen obviously). But you're also sacrificing portability. So then it comes down to a question of how useful these extras would be in the long run. I can tell you that from experience, I wish my MacBook Pro was a 13" — the 15" is just a little too bulky for my taste.

So it's a trade off. More power for the long haul vs. more portability (and of course, more money). If I had to choose, I'd probably go high end 13" and get the 2.66GHz. Hope that helps.

6. parrothead123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I appreciate the advice. The problem is that the SSD is so much more expensive. Is it really worth the price especially since I'll probably be storing a lot of pics and video on it and would want at least 256gb? Is the 2.66 much faster than the 2.4? Thanks again.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You could replace the HD with aftermarket SSD (e.g. 80GB Intel) and then replace the SuperDrive with the HD. OS X and apps in SSD, other stuff in HD.

2.66GHz is ~10% faster but it will only effect when doing something CPU intensive e.g. encoding

8. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

the 2.66 is hardly any faster at all then the 2.4 (0.22ghz wont get you anywhere). besides it costs just $32 more then the 2.4 so apple is selling it at an insane permium.

i personally think the base 15" with the i5 is the best MBP of this generation although it is a little less portable. size is the only reason i havent bought it yet because the 13" indeed is a perfect little size, just the C2D cripples it (imho).

so if you can afford the bigger size and the extra $$ i would suggest the i5. you can always throw in an intel x25 SSD aftermarket at some point.

9. parrothead123 thread starter macrumors newbie

You could replace the HD with aftermarket SSD (e.g. 80GB Intel) and then replace the

That's a good thought. What are your thoughts about purchasing the RAM now or waiting a bit and doing that aftermarket also?

Thanks

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Aftermarket of course. OWC sells 2x4GB for 255$ if you trade-in your 2x2GB, otherwise it's 320$ which is still a great deal.

11. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

12. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

If by "2x4GB" you meant two DDR3 4Gb RAM modules, OWC's price for that is $315.99. Even at that price, it's a bargain.

I agree with you that the OP would certainly be better off to buy the 2.4Ghz 13 inch MBP and thereby save $300. There would be virtually no real world performance difference between the 2.4 and 2.66Ghz chips. Although SSDs are still pretty expensive, they are becoming cheaper all the time. If I were buying a new MBP, I would find a way to add an SSD.

13. vant macrumors 65816

Uh, how does .26GHz equate to 'long haul'? You actually think that a fourth of a GHz is going to do anything to future proof?

14. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

You won't "see" a difference between the 2.4 and 2.66 machines.

As others have stated you'll get more performance from an aftermarket SSD. If you plan on storing videos you'll probably need to go with an external drive (via FW) or an internal HD in the optibay. There are advantages/disadvantages to both options. I use both options with the second internal HD being my more recent setup. So far that configuration looks like a winner.

cheers
    JohnG

15. parrothead123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of your help. Is the Applecare voided if I swap out the drives? Or will an Apple tech do that for $?

16. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

Yes it will be voided, but if you swap in the original drive when it goes in for service they won't know

17. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

You can change the harddrive without voiding warranty. There are directions on Apple's Website, if you need them.

18. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

The directions are also in the manual the comes with the computer, IIRC.

19. tmcafe macrumors newbie

Ignorant newbie with same questions + SSD issues?

I've been looking at the same options: 2.4 vs 2.66 (I'm set on the 13 for portability needs). The upgrade seems too expensive. It's just 10% more performance, and the bump from 250 GB to 320 GB HD is only $45, so that makes the CPU upgrade really pricey.

I've been also looking into possibly getting an SSD. The one from Apple is of unknown quality and it's pretty expensive. As for an aftermarket 80GB, my old desktop eMac has 80 and it's been maxed out for a while.

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm curious about something else: I've read that SSDs don't age as well as HDDs. Does that mean they get slower, or that you may actually lose data?

Hopefully they'll also get cheaper in the near future. Anyway, it seems that the best way to go is a 2.4, and then possibly upgrade to 8GB RAM, and maybe an SSD.

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I reckon 4Gb of RAM will be enough for you. Instead of spending the money on more than 4GB of RAM or a better processor, I'd spend it on a SSD:D