13" 2.53ghz or 15" 2.66ghz....?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soccerb12ku, Jun 8, 2009.

1. soccerb12ku macrumors member

I am going to buy a new MacBook Pro and I am wondering why the 15" 2.66ghz is $450 more than the 13" 2.53ghz? The only differences are the .13ghz differnece, the 2" bigger screen, and the graphics card on the 15" also has a9600M GT with 256MB......Is this really worth the extra $450 or not? What are these three extra things going to do better than the 13"?

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

lol there are going to be so many of these threads that there should really be seperate section for "which Macbook pro should i buy"

3. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Interesting to see they cut the 9600GT from the 2.53ghz 15". If you need dedicated graphics, can be good in the long run, depending on how long you are going to keep the computer for, then go for the 15 2.66 otherwise I think you have answered your own question!

Interesting announcements, disappointed about the iphone update slightly!

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i feel sorry for apple store employees for the next week or so. they must get so many people coming back wanting to return or at least trying to return the laptops they recently bought. would not want to be dealing with that right now.

5. soccerb12ku thread starter macrumors member

what is the dedicated graphics giong to do for me? I dont understand the difference between the graphics cards? I might play few games but not a lot or regularly because I have an Xbox 360 to play games on.... is the better graphics card worth it or not? What is the differnece in the better one?

thanks for the help!

6. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Gaming is one area that having a good graphics card helps, but it can also speed up video editing, photo editing etc. Like I say having a good graphics card would be important in the long run if you are into those things but if you want a laptop for more casual use, web surfing, emails, photos, word docs then the integrated graphics card is perfect especially in Mac OSX! (Don't go running Vista of it though lol)

13" is also a great size for a laptop!

Differences between the cards.

9600 has a faster architecture (Processor that does the graphics lets say, its a mid range card)
    9600 has dedicated onboard ram, does not take any away from the main ram like the 9400 does e.g. will take 256MB of your 2GB to run, with the 9600 the card will have its own 256 memory chip.

9400 slower architecture (Lower range card, still a good card for mainstream web-surfing etc)