13" 2010 Macbook Pro and SSD questions... Please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tzimed, May 18, 2011.

1. Tzimed macrumors newbie

Hi guys I'm looking to get an SSD for my Macbook Pro 13" (2010 model). I heard that some drives are having sleep issues (like the Vertex 2). There is so many different models on the market right now that I am totally confused which one to get. I'm leaning towards Vertex 3 as I heard that it's the most stable one. But since my laptop model is limited to SATA 2 I wouldn't mind spending a little bit less and getting something slower. My main concern is the stability. I don't want to run across beach balling, or sleep/hibernation issues. Which drive should I go with? I'm looking for something between 120-256GB.
    Next question is about my current Seagate Momentus. It's this model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eagate_momentus_7200.4-_-22-148-526-_-Product
    Will it work fine with the Optibay instead of my optical drive? Is there any other drive I should consider for my storage drive? Perhaps something of higher capacity but still running not slower than 7200rpm?
    Will the motion sensor work? In case I suddenly move the machine or drop it? I wouldn't want to loose all my data because of making wrong equipment decision.
    Thank you so much for all your replies. And sorry for making another thread on that subject. I know it was discussed many times. But I'm having hard time finding definite answers.

2. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

the only good SSD for mac based computers is intel

other have problems

3. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

+1 on Intel. Intel X25-M or Intel 320. The 7200.4 will work perfectly in the OptiBay. I had one in there myself, the G-Force sensor works perfectly for that application.

4. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I have the 320 and its worth the price of admission for sure. Been fantastic so far. If you want to keep the SMS then you'll have to put the storage drive in the hard drive bay and put the SSD in the optical drive spot. Just make sure you pick your startup disk in System Preferences after your install so your system doesn't spend time trying to figure out which disk to boot off of.

5. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

The Intel won't sleep properly in Optical Bay. Been there, done that. The 7200.4 will do fine in the optical bay because it has hardware protection for sudden movement.

6. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I see! Was not aware of that problem, I was just saying that if the OP wanted to take advantage of the SMS then the 7200 drive would have to be in the hard drive bay. Sleep problems would definitely not be worth having the SMS though. I agree.

7. Tzimed thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all thank you for so many replies!
    So from what I see it's safe to use the Seagate in the optical bay without worrying about SMS? It has a build in G-Force protection as mentioned above. So that should stop the drive if suddenly moved right?
    I think I'll go with the Intel 320. No sleep and hibernation issues? No beach balls? How much faster is it than a regular 7200rpm drive?
    Where's the best place to get it?

8. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I would say that you'd be fine with it in the optical bay judging from the feedback above. The 320 is a great drive. I have had not a single beach ball or hiccup, just blazing speed all around. It is much faster than a 7200 RPM drive, you have to experience one to really understand. And once you do you won't ever go back to a spinning hard drive. To be honest, I bought mine off of Buy.com because I have a 5% cashback bonus with my Discover card so I saved a little money. Most people would get it off of Newegg; however, I think Buy.com had it for $549.99 and Newegg had it for $559.99 at the time of my purchase 2 or so weeks ago (for the 300 GB version). Just look around and find the best deals.

9. Tzimed thread starter macrumors newbie