13" 2010 MBA battery question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macbookpro45, Sep 17, 2011.

1. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

If there is AppleCare left on the MBA, and the MBA is only holding a 2-3hour charge doing basic things i.e. surfing web/word processing ,will Apple replace the battery?

If the answer is no, what's the minimum threshold of charge required for Apple to say yes to a battery replacement?

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Run one of those battery testing programs (like iStat, for example) that tells you the health of the battery.

I have seen other threads where people claim that if the health is over 80% they will not replace it.

Also, if the health is still 90%+ then maybe its the way its being used and not the battery itself that's a problem (perhaps some backgrounds apps are causing drain).

3. sloan47 macrumors member

Definitely check out iStat. If the battery health is still fairly good, I'd recommend a fresh install of OS X and try it out fresh. If you still get those results then talk to Apple.

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

Minimum threshold for Apple to not replace a battery would be if it dies within the hour, or if the laptop dies after getting unplugged.

Otherwise, good luck arguing your case.

Also, if it's a new 2011 Air, you should wait for at least a week of continuous usage for things to "break in" before you can claim anything about performance, battery life, etc... because OSX Lion does indexing the first run, which... takes a very long time to finish.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the first part of the following link, which describes battery replacement policies under warranty and AppleCare. Also read the section on BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    There is no such threshold. Read the FAQ.