13" 2010 MBP and Boot Camp 5

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vladobizik, Mar 17, 2013.

1. vladobizik macrumors 6502

The new Boot Camp version apparently cut the support for the 13" 2010 MBP. What does this mean? I understand Windows 8 is not officially supported on this machine then, but what happens if I want do install Windows 7 (or unofficially 8)? Does the Boot Camp assistant let me install Windows at all? If so, does it download the 4.0 for me instead? Can't I download the 5.0 drivers from the web manually and install them?

If you ask me, I think Apple has gone a bit too far in cutting support for "legacy" hardware this time. Maybe it is also indicative of what 10.9 will be available for.

2. Federicosvevo87 macrumors newbie

Unless Apple cut officially bootcamp support for our MacBook Pro 7,1 (after only 2 years) you can install windows 8 thanks to the great similarity between the two lasts OS made by Microsoft. There are minor problems of compatibility (dynamic tick disabled, old graphic driver, poor optimization of keyboard controls for adjusting monitor/keyboard illumination and volume) but it works well.

It remains however very frustrating that a 2 years-old computer will not receive official support, and if 10.9 will be not supported I will be very angry with these approach! :mad:

3. Mackan macrumors 65816

Only Apple knows why they didn't chose to support this model. And they are not sharing the reason, in a usual Apple manner. We are left to speculate. However, most likely they just want you to buy a new MacBook Pro in order to 'deserve' more Windows support from them. That's what happens when you have Apple hardware that is 2 years old - they start to phase you out even if your hardware is still good, and want more $$$ from you.

However, you can download Boot Camp 5 from their website, here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638

Then install Windows 8 as usual, and then follow the method described here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1557040

Essentially, run 'bootcamp.msi' with administrative privileges, and it might work.

4. OnceYouGoMac macrumors 6502

^ Can Boot Camp 5 run on Snow Leopard or would I have to upgrade to Mountain Lion if I was to use it?