13" 2010 MBP fans malfunctioning.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nateo200, Oct 19, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

13" 2010 MBP fans malfunctioning. It literally sounds like a weed wacker is running in my computer :mad:. Its embarrassing too :eek: I'll be in class and the fans will randomly start doing it! Its random too! it sounds like they have something stuck in them because they get really loud then a loud ping occurs and the exhaust drops to literally <50rpms...I thought it was my hard drive at first but it has to be the fans...I downloaded an app to try and better manage the heat by controlling fan speed but its still a problem...like when I would encode video I would bump up the rpm's from Apples default of 2000 to 2800 and watch the heat..if it got too hott I would bump the exhaust up to 5500+ RPM's and the CPU would cool down in seconds...but like today the fans briefly locked up completely...scary moment as my CPU was at about 190ºF and my computer just shut down! Thank God it shut down so quickly as the temperature was climbing pretty high and I don't need to fry my CPU! So genius bar appointment? Is there anyway to clean out the fans without voiding my warranty?

2. josephmccutchen macrumors member

Definitely sounds like you have a problem on your hands. I had a friend who had a noisy fan on his 2010 13" MBP, and so I opened up, took out the fan, and it had a bug in it! I have no idea how it got in there!

As far as I know, it does not void the warranty; you do have to know what you're doing, though. If you've never opened up the MBP, keep in mind that screws 2-4 (looking at the top) are longer than the others. Also, some of my screws come loose from time to time. Keep your eyes out for that. As far as the fans go, I would try compressed air first. If that doesn't help, and you really want to take them out, you will need a T6 Torx driver. Perhaps most important of all, make sure you use anti-static measures (touch something metal such as a water faucet) before beginning. Hope this helps!

3. josephmccutchen, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

josephmccutchen macrumors member

Sorry I had to edit; accidentally put the same message in twice!

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

take it to the store , we can't really fix it for you here

5. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW-OHL3sQBo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If your curious that's what it sounds like now only worse... :/ upgraded my RAM today and took a look around and didn't see any obvious cause. Just going to keep my Mac off as much as possible but I do need it for school unfortunately. One of the rubber pads fell off on the bottom so I think something might of snuck in. Damn thing won't stay on no matter what!

6. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Hey guys is it possible to straight up shut the fans OFF? I know that's like sticking your computer in the oven but lets say I were to be working in a very cool weather environment and they would be off for a very short period of time...I just need to use my computer :( Wish I had booked a genius bar appointment sooner..but is there a way? I already have a way to control the fans but not shut them off.

7. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Apple store was packed today! They were doing "triage" outside of the store and even some minor repairs :O that's what happens when you put a cheap iPhone on every carrier! Anyways genius fixed It in no time! Fan was out of alignment and cracked slightly when he examined it taken out....didn't charge me and my computer is even quieter than before!