13" 2010 MBP freezes.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blunderboy, Jul 22, 2010.

1. blunderboy macrumors 6502

There seems to be a freezing problem with some of the 13" MBPs, as well as the Core i5/i7 MBPs. I've had mine for about 2 days, and I noticed a hard freeze when I was browsing Google Chrome and listening to iTunes. The iTunes music started looping on a 5-second section and I had to hard restart the computer by hitting the power button. I read some posts about fans and nVidia graphics, so I ended up downloading some nVidia drivers and an application that affects the fan speed. According to nVidia's website, they updated the Mac drivers for the cards that go into some of the MBPs about six days ago, so it MAY be a driver issue. My computer wasn't hot when it happened, so I doubt it's an overheating problem. I haven't had any problems since I restarted, though. Here's hoping that the freezing doesn't start up again; if it does, I'm going to take it to the Apple store to have it looked at.

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I've experienced some freezing but it was while I was performing a specific task or closing a specific program. It wasn't random at all.

3. blunderboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, it's been about five days and there hasn't been any freezing since. :D It did take a while to shut down yesterday, but that wasn't a hard freeze.

4. blunderboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, it's happened again—twice a couple weeks ago, and today. I've taken it to the Apple Store, and the Genius just reinstalled 10.6.4 and ran some tests. On my own, I did the Apple Hardware Test and fsck and there weren't any errors. It's not frequent enough to render it unusable, but it's problematic. I may go back to the Apple Store, but I don't want to be without my machine if the problem isn't reproducible—it's too intermittent for that. This isn't the worst experience I've had with computers, by far, but still!