13" 2010 MBP Ram issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snailmale, Apr 30, 2012.

1. snailmale, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

snailmale macrumors newbie

Hello, I own the entry level 13" MBP (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) from early/mid 2010. Recently I have had problems with applications crashing, inability to open new applications, and browser (Chrome) being unable to open new tabs. Everything is also running more slowly than usual. These problems usually go away with a reboot, but reappear an hour or two later.

I have installed Kingston 8gb apple ram previously. I have also run memtest86 with no errors (when I installed, as well as recently). However when I run into crashes, I am unable to open terminal (problem with opening new applications) so I cannot run memtest while the problem shows itself.

When the problems arise, going to 'About my Mac' shows thats I have 8??? gb of ram, and the memory tab states "Your Mac contains 0 memory slots, each of which accepts a ??? memory module. No user-installable memory slots exist."

I have reset PRAM and SMC, but it does not solve the problem. Removing my ram and switching the two slots about seemed to help for a week or two, then the issue resurfaced. Is this likely a problem with the RAM, or the logic board? My MBP is still covered under Applecare. Thanks very much for the help!

Edit: I am on Lion, if that is a factor. These problems have been ongoing for at least a month, but I have been too busy with exams to properly address them. Also, occasionally, the issues with the RAM resolve themselves without a reboot. e.g. 10 min ago I had the 0 memory slots report, and now I have the normal 2 memory slots.

2. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

Try reinstalling your factory RAM. See if that helps out with anything, if it does, then you have found your culprit. Other than that, could be a logic board issue. If you still have Apple Care I would seriously think about making a visit to your nearest store.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^^

It does sound like RAM / Logic Board failure. Try the suggestion above, if that brings your Mac back to useable life then it's likely you do have faulty sticks, but I'm leaning towards a faulty LB here....As posted, get it looked at by Apple if the RAM suggestion fails to sort you out.

4. snailmale thread starter macrumors newbie

Well good thing I hadn't sold off my original ram(although I had dumped 1 stick into a netbook). I've switched things back to stock, now just hoping for the issue to resurface! Thank guys, will update on how things go!

5. snailmale thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright the 0 memory slots issue has come up again, even with the original Apple ram. I presume this means its a logic board problem. I'll find some time to bring my mac down to the Apple store and get it fixed! But first, I need to do some backing up.