13' 2011 MacBookPro and Lion OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Deduhej, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Deduhej macrumors newbie

Hey,

a very simple question: Why isn't lion compatible with the new versions of macbook pro? Before you start telling me that lion is, let me tell you the consequences(yes consequences and not benefits) of lion.

--> Average battery life went down 50 % to 2 - 3 hours of general use(with snow leopard it was never less than 6)
    --> SO Slow! Before a got lion, MacBooks was the only computer I've ever had that always opened programs on the second! Now, opening programs takes time and running more than 8 is out of question(8 different windows that is)
    --> A simple example. When I had OS X SL, it took 30 seconds to start up the computer. Nowadays, it's about 90 seconds.

Maybe I'm complaining about small stuff but I don't think so! Lion caused a huge power loss of my Mac and I don't like! Anyone who has any ideas of what to do or who has experienced the same, please comment!
    //Nils

2. samac92 macrumors 6502a

I have the same computer, and lion runs incredibly well. (mine did ship with lion however)

Before this I had a 2008 aluminium MacBook, and lion ran incredibly well on that too. I think the trick is to do a clean install. Try wiping your drive and start again. You're experience with lion is not normal.

3. mountains macrumors regular

I've heard that a lot of people have this battery problem, but I haven't experienced it myself on my Macbook. I'm still running at normal battery life on Lion.

As for your computer running slowly - is it Safari? I've read that there are or were serious memory issues with Safari after Lion released.

4. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

It's not that Lion's not compatible with your MBP, Lion is plain garbage. I don't understand how people haven't run into the problems I've seen, every time I go to demonstrate it, I can easily replicate it on any MBP 2011 model in any Apple Store, I'm guessing most MBP users have only very basic needs.

Every single problem I had the Apple "techs" ran into and couldn't resolve, they even pulled a model identical to mine off the floor, and had the exact problems I had, proving it wasn't unique to my machine. I couldn't believe their techs were so inexperienced that they couldn't even figure out some of the workarounds I managed to figure out on my own, and I'm still new to OS X... I guess to be a tech at Apple all you need to do is wear a blue tshirt with no real qualifications.

Case in point, I had to make the decision to stay with Lion with all my workarounds and fixes just to use the thing always paranoid about other bugs I didn't catch... or go back to SL which it shipped with, where it worked practically flawlessly. Wasn't a hard decision... Lion sucks

5. mountains macrumors regular

What kind of problems are you running into?

6. samac92 macrumors 6502a

What problems are these? I haven't ran into any that I can think of so far.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

No problems here; it seems to run fine, no difference in battery life. I did an upgrade install as well.

8. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

I think I have sort of the same problem as you.

Mid-2009 MBP.

Battery life is terrible, even though my battery is "Normal" condition.

I get like 3 hours, that's with only browsing.

It sometimes out of nowhere while loading freezes for a couple of seconds, gives me the wheel and loads.

However, booting up is flawless. Takes like 30 seconds max. (NO SSD)