13" 2011 MBP Heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robd54, Mar 7, 2011.

1. robd54 macrumors member

I'm debating between a 13" MBA or the new 13" MBP and wanted to check to see what people were feeling w/the heat. I had a 13" MBP a few years ago and you could cook on the thing. Was uncomfortable to keep on my lap. Are the new ones better? Uses would be for all the usual browsing but then some picture/video editing as well. Ideally I like to keep my whole library synched (about 250 GB) so that's one limiation of the MBA but if the MBP gets too hot to use then I'll go air.

2. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

I just got mine yesterday and I've been playing with it all day. yes it's warm, but my HP got a lot warmer. I'd just get one of those cooling pads if you are concerned.

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mine is slightly warmer than my old 2010 Mbp. It's not noticeable unless you are really looking for it.

4. robd54 thread starter macrumors member

Ok cool, good to hear. The one I had that was super hot was before the uni-body design; have these been cooler then the previous body style?

5. un.titled macrumors regular

The 2011 13" MBP is about 25% warmer than the 2010 in my uses.

6. pcorlatan macrumors newbie

You may already know this but smcFanControl is great if your Mac is running hot. It allows you to see the temperature inside as well as manually adjust the fan speed based on your needs. I used it daily on my 2009 13" unibody MacBook Pro and it was awesome. I now installed it on my 2011 15" i7 MacBook Pro and it's working just as well, except it allows me to adjust the speed of both fans individually (the 15" has two fans whereas the 13" only has one).

7. onelazyman macrumors newbie

Mine is about 25% cooler than my late 2008 13" model

8. mehanika Guest

What generates the heat? Is the processor alone? Has the harddrive anything to be said in this "Heat" issue, as i'd say it is...?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most heat is generated by the GPU and CPU. The hard drive is close to last on the list of heat sources.
    ScreenCap 15.png

10. scotty56 macrumors regular

im the same, maybe even a bit cooler. These new machines are awesome. Just think what well have in five years...sheesh

11. mehanika Guest

Then again.. Would it help to switch to a SSD, for example? Would this help keep the overall cooling lower, or just waste of money?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Switching to a SSD has great advantages, but heat isn't high on the list. HDDs don't generate much heat, anyway. The primary advantages of SSDs are speed and durability.