13" 2011 MBP with 8GB Ram = Better Graphics ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yly3, Jul 24, 2011.

1. yly3 macrumors 6502

Is it true that if you add 8 gigs of ram your GPU will raise up to 512 mb and get even closer to the 320M ? Does anyone have this configuration ?

It's a matter of dealbreaker for me but if it's true I'm gonna buy it

2. hebbis2 macrumors newbie

It does boost your graphics memory to 512MB. I checked under System Profiler. I haven't really seen a noticeable boost in frames per second but I don't check FPS often.

3. seafowl macrumors newbie

Yes, although it does increase your graphic memory to 512, it is still shared memory. So there might not be much improvements in graphic performance. But in theory yes.

4. yly3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course I didn't expect that my card will all of a sudden become twice as good :D. So there WILL be a slight improvement, a 2-3 fps increase I think.

@hebbis2 Have you managed to play some recent games with your config ?

5. Unpleasant macrumors member

the ram on the video cards aren't what you think it does.

Its for helping pushing out pixels on resolution. So more pixels on the screen needs more pixels.

And if you turn the AA way up.

Unless your connecting this to a 1080p monitor/tv and trying to play crysis maxed out. It really shouldn't effect it much if any.

6. hebbis2 macrumors newbie

I've only played Minecraft and Team Fortress 2 since upgrading my RAM. You'll get a bigger boost going into Windows for gaming then from the RAM most likely. Also, if you want to view your frames per second in Steam games (I think this works in most), type cl_showfps 1 into the developer console. To remove it, type cl_showfps 0 or just relaunch the game.