Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I was looking at getting the new 13" with the 2.7 but not sure it is worth it, considering all I will be doing is some minor gaming in boot camp COD4, Halo, etc and importing DVD's into my iTunes library.

Anyone have the new base 13" regret getting it and anyone with the 2.7 think the i5 base 13" would have been enough?

Just can't seem to think there is $300 worth of diff in a larger HDD which I will replace with SSD. and going from 2.3i5 to a 2.7i7?

DudeMartin

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
I bought the 13" MBP and I have no regrets. The screen size is perfectly fine, although others find it problematic. It performs very nicely for a 13-inch machine. As far as CPU-intensive tasks (exporting DVDs, rendering, etc) it should be able to pull through without any problems. The biggest bottleneck in this machine is definitely the GPU, although it should have little to no problems running Call of Duty 4 (runs Team Fortress 2, made in the same year, without any problems).

No regrets.

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
I was looking at getting the new 13" with the 2.7 but not sure it is worth it, considering all I will be doing is some minor gaming in boot camp COD4, Halo, etc and importing DVD's into my iTunes library.

Anyone have the new base 13" regret getting it and anyone with the 2.7 think the i5 base 13" would have been enough?

Just can't seem to think there is $300 worth of diff in a larger HDD which I will replace with SSD. and going from 2.3i5 to a 2.7i7?

Importing DVDs will be faster on the 2.7. Sounds like you will be fine with the 2.3 though. Processor is not something you can upgrade later down the road so whynot bring your dvd to a store and import it between the two models to see what the speed difference is and if that's worth the upgrade for you.

I see mofos hog up MacBooks at the Apple store for hours doing god knows what, so I'm sure you'll fit right in waiting for it to transfer haha.

anonymouse99

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011

If your goal is to be truly portable, then 13" is a great unit. If your looking to get the fastest processor, and you'll be spending $1400+ for it, you'll be better off getting a 2010 15" which will also get you a better GPU. Overall with a 13" folks have been recommending a SSD drive to get a faster response.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
If your goal is to be truly portable, then 13" is a great unit. If your looking to get the fastest processor, and you'll be spending $1400+ for it, you'll be better off getting a 2010 15" which will also get you a better GPU. Overall with a 13" folks have been recommending a SSD drive to get a faster response.

I originally bought the 15" Pro with the 2.53 and 512 with NVidia 9600 and it was nice, but very heavy and awkward, so I went right back a week later and traded it back in for the 13" with the 2.4 4GB and the NVidia 9400, and I have owned that for 2+ years. I was thinking of getting a new one for only one reason, both my kids need them for school and a Refurb 13" 2.66 is $1019 however Applecare is $249, if I go the new 13" which is $1199, minus the school discount $100 then it is $1100, plus then Applecare is only $180. So I am getting a new machine with great specs and Applecare for less or about the same as a refurb 13" 2.66 plus I get faster Ram, and Thunderbolt as well as more Video Ram.

I am just wondering though, how the new 13" base model is compared to those who have had the previous version of the 13" uMB or MBP.

I assume speed is much better, but how is the GPU performance with the Integrated Intel. I have an Intel 320 SSD 160GB that will be going in for OS and Boot Camp, then all other data goes on external FW800 Drive.

Does the new 13" support XP or just Vista and Windows 7?

anonymouse99

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
I was thinking of getting a new one for only one reason, both my kids need them for school and a Refurb 13" 2.66 is $1019 however Applecare is $249, if I go the new 13" which is $1199, minus the school discount $100 then it is $1100, plus then Applecare is only $180.

Does the new 13" support XP or just Vista and Windows 7?
I'll answer things I am familiar with. Assuming you're talking $1100 for a 2011 13" 2.3 i5, it is actually on sale for $999 at Microcenter.

People on these forums have also been recommending squaretrade warranty, which will cost you $300 including accidental damage (your schoolkids are handling this laptop).

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/laptop-landing3

AFAIK, only Windows 7 is supported on 2011 Macbooks.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011

The base 2011 13" with the i5 is as fast or faster than the highest end 2010 15". So if the OP is looking for the best processor then the 13" would get the nod. If the GPU is going to be a problem, which with the OP's usage it doesn't seem like that is the case, then the 15" would be better. I would get the i5 for $999. Best deal out there and it will do everything you need it to do.

iMackPro

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
the 13 will be MORE than enough for you want to do, people on here make the 13 sound kind of weak but they are certainly not. Your best bet is to buy the new 13 and use your SSD. thats going to bring the best out of your computer. as long as you don't fool around and play in a 15, you'll be perfectly fine. my biggest mistake was playing on the 2.3 15 in stores, i ended up walking out of the store 2700 more poor than i already was, but ill be dammed if i dammed if i don't have the best pc out !!!!

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I bought the 13" MacBook Pro about a month ago and have not regretted it at all. I think I have only turned on my Windows 7 laptop twice in the past month and that was only because the program I wanted to use was not available on my Mac.

The 13" is a lot easier to carry around and the battery life has been FANTASTIC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.