13" 2015 MBPr still WiFi issues on 10.10.4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yes_indeed_so, Aug 11, 2015.

1. yes_indeed_so macrumors newbie

So I got my new MacBook Pro 13" 2015 a few days ago. Loving it, but noticed I had to turn my WiFi off and on sometimes after not using it for a while to get a connection. I updated it immediately to 10.10.4 so no more discoveryd, but I still have issues with connectivity.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Is it a software issue in OS X or could it be a hardware issue and should I contact Apple about that? When a connection has been made I (up till now) have no issues with the connection while using it.

Thank you, any input is appreciated!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Try change your router's encryption to WPA2-PSK.

3. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

No such problem with both of my (2) 2015 13" retina MacBook Pro computers. I am running 10.10.4 as well. What WiFi router are you using?

4. yes_indeed_so thread starter macrumors newbie

Default router/modem combination from ISP with an Airport Extreme as access point creating an extra network. Issues on both networks from both routers. No issues whatsoever on any other wireless or wired devices.

5. deepakvrao macrumors regular

I'm having the same issues. Bloody pain in the ass.

6. yes_indeed_so thread starter macrumors newbie

Is your MacBook also new? Or are you having issues for a longer time?

7. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Yes, bought on June 8th or so. Problem started maybe a month ago.

8. yes_indeed_so thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I had it from day one. Will talk to Apple about it and see what they suggest. I'll let you know

9. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I have a similar setup where my ISP provided the router/modem and I use an AirPort Extreme basestation to generate the network. AT&T provided the modem. What I did was turn off the wireless portion on the AT&T modem/router so that it is used only as the modem into my AirPort Extreme basestation. Interesting thing is when I left the wireless on, on the AT&T router, all my iDeviced would have an issue keeping the connection to the AT&T router. Now I only connect to the AirPort Extreme basestation and the issue went away. The AT&T wireless router only generated 192.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses. I wanted to use 10.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses which the Airport basestation provides. By turning off the wireless on the AT&T router I had to switch from a wireless TV connection on the AT&T cable boxes to hard connection, AT&T router to AT&T cable TV boxes. This is a situation that I had not dealt with before as I had always used DirecTV. AT&T helped sort out the hard TV connection and Apple support helped me with the Wireless connection.

Have you tried giving AppleCare a call to discuss the situation? If not, that is what I would suggest next.

10. deepakvrao macrumors regular

I am using the same setup which I have been using for the last few years, and my old Air, my wife's and daughter's current Airs all work fine.

Using a Netgear router for one network, and an Asus for the other. Same issues on both, ONLY with my new MBP. It's more on the Asus though, almost half the times when I open the MBP, while with the Netgear, its maybe once in 10-15 times.

11. yes_indeed_so thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your comment. I will definitely give Apple a call when I have the time and I'll post here what they have to say about it ...

The issue is only with my MBP as well. Older MacBook (on Mavericks) has no issue as well. For me as well on both networks, I read turning off Bluetooth should stop the issue but I still have problems with WiFi.

12. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Just realised a faster answer. Instead of switching off wifi and back on, I just click on another network, and immediately click back on the original network. Works, and much faster than switching off and on.

13. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

This is a pretty well documented/talked about issue affecting some Macs and not others.

My 2015 MBA does this in Yosemite and in El Capitan. But never in Windows 8.1/10. It's occasional and it doesn't matter what type of WiFi AP is being used. It does it with an AirPort Extreme (4-6th gen), AirPort Express (current), UniFi AP AC enterprise APs, simple 2Wire router, and more.

My 2013 rMBP used to do it (not on Mavericks though), but it hasn't for a long time. Never as bad as my 2015 though, and my 2008 and older ones never had the issue. Even on Yosemite. So it seems like the newer it is, the worse off it is. Particularly 2015 MBAs and MBPs.

It's not related to Bluetooth, the sorting of network devices in the preferences, type of AP, type of signal, or anything else I've seen suggested. And goes away entirely in Boot Camp. Suggesting an OS X issue.