13" 2015 Retina MBP + Daisy chaining questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sharat_masetty, Oct 16, 2016.

1. sharat_masetty macrumors newbie

Hi,

Its time for me to add another 24" monitor to my work setup and I am considering the Dell U2415 because it has a DP out. I would like to use the daisy chain setup to hook up these monitors so that it looks something like this

(macbook-pro)----(Dell U 2415(new))----(Dell U2412(existing))

This way only one TB/DP port gets used on my machine and looks better as well.

Now comes the question part: I have been reading reviews on Amazon saying that this setup does not really well especially with certain mac's, so I would like to know the opinion of folks on this forum who have a similar setup as to

a) Will this proposed setup work well?
    b) How stable is the setup?
    c) If daisy chain is used, will the port on the macbook become hot(mentioned by some reviewer on amazon)?

Please share other recommendations for my use case, do's and dont's....

Thanks in advance....

Sharat

2. sharat_masetty thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys just a gentle reminder, if someone has a similar setup and or a daisy chain MST setup with macbook pro , please share your experience..

Also I am not sure if this is the right group for this thread... so please let me know if I should post this somewhere else to get better traction.

thank you

3. Quasselstripper macrumors regular

Quasselstripper

I have a similar setup, consisting of two Dell DP displays.
    I can confirm that the MacBooks hardware is capable of doing MST daisychaining this, however macOS has not implemented this feature properly. The second screen is just a mirrored version of the first one. Booting on Windows via bootcamp shows that the hardware works as expected and both monitors can be controlled individually.
    Please file a bugreport at Apple to help us prioritize this issue: bugreport.apple.com