13" 2020 MBP - Super annoying: External headphones are a separate audio device

LD58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2020
Got my new 13" MBP two days ago (10th gen, 512GB/16GB).
What annoys me extremely (apart from the fans running very often…) is that the headphone jack is now a separate audio device. That means if you plug or unplug you Headphones when using Logic (and maybe other Audio Software) it stops the playback and re-initialises the audio engine. On my 2016 MPB and all other MBPs I had since 2004 that never was an issue. Just plug them in and out as you wish.

So be warned if that is your use case.

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2019
Surprised to hear about the noisy fans, I'm guessing its because of Logic? I believe the behavior you're describing is a system variable that "Pauses" audio once the input device is removed. You might be able to find a terminal hack or command that will modify this behavior.

Namara

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
Logic reinitializes the audio output source on my Mac Mini too when I switch between wired and wireless headphones, bluetooth speaker or (gasp!) the Mac Mini speaker. It's only a couple of seconds and I don't mind it a bit.

LD58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2020
@Namara Yes for bluetooth I would call that a normal behaviour as it is a different device.

@Dhock_Holiday No fans are spinning up at different times. After restarting or copying huge files. Actually not in Logic yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.