Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Don’t know why but on 13.3.1 my apps in app switcher are refreshing every 30 seconds. Say, I’ll jump from FaceBook to Google Maps and back and forth and both apps refresh. Really annoying. Same with InstaGram, Safari, Photos...etc.

Don’t know why this is happening but it’s reminding me of the original iOS 13 release.

I have 128GB iPhone and thought that it may have been due to coming close to my limit, which system prefs. Said I was at 127.1GBs so I deleted Some stuff and am now at 115GB.

Reactions: MarioPhone96

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Don’t know why but on 13.3.1 my apps in app switcher are refreshing every 30 seconds. Say, I’ll jump from FaceBook to Google Maps and back and forth and both apps refresh. Really annoying. Same with InstaGram, Safari, Photos...etc.

Don’t know why this is happening but it’s reminding me of the original iOS 13 release.

I have 128GB iPhone and thought that it may have been due to coming close to my limit, which system prefs. Said I was at 127.1GBs so I deleted Some stuff and am now at 115GB.
The *only* app that crashes for me is newegg. And that is because the app is horribly buggy and just loves to crash all the time.

I have never experienced what you describe. My iPhone 7 is a 128GB, but has 37GB available. I also have an SE 32GB that probably has 7 or 8GB available. Both have been on 13 since release (currently on latest 13.3.1) and I don’t have any of the problems people b*tch about daily on these forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
The *only* app that crashes for me is newegg. And that is because the app is horribly buggy and just loves to crash all the time.

I have never experienced what you describe. My iPhone 7 is a 128GB, but has 37GB available. I also have an SE 32GB that probably has 7 or 8GB available. Both have been on 13 since release (currently on latest 13.3.1) and I don’t have any of the problems people b*tch about daily on these forums.

yeah I haven’t really complained about iOS 13 except when the original app refreshing took place when iOS 13 was released. This issue just cropped up again about a week ago but I updated to 13.3.1 the day it was released and didn’t experience any issues until less than a week ago so am confused as to what is causing this.

if I switch to Facebook, Instagram or Safari which I’m currently in on MacRumors typing this, all of them will refresh and I’ll lose my place in each app. Incredibly frustrating.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

If you guys are interested in iOS memory management (which has change a bit recently) check out that video.

Apps do A LOT of the memory handling themselves in what they load, cache, remove with a memory warning, etc etc. Unfortunately apps that have feeds especially filled with videos and pics (huge memory users) are the most obvious when they reload assets (which is why the app opens but feed refreshes).

While its possible for Apple to handle memory better I'm sure they really need to apps to handle memory better. These deep dive conferences are for developers. Apple just releases an paper on their background improvements. Resources are so limited on iOS hardware and its not an easy task for Apple or devs.

I think we'll see improvements from both devs and Apple with future updates.

• Sad
Reactions: canesalato

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca

If you guys are interested in iOS memory management (which has change a bit recently) check out that video.

Apps do A LOT of the memory handling themselves in what they load, cache, remove with a memory warning, etc etc. Unfortunately apps that have feeds especially filled with videos and pics (huge memory users) are the most obvious when they reload assets (which is why the app opens but feed refreshes).

While its possible for Apple to handle memory better I'm sure they really need to apps to handle memory better. These deep dive conferences are for developers. Apple just releases an paper on their background improvements. Resources are so limited on iOS hardware and its not an easy task for Apple or devs.

Thank you. Watching now!

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Not a bad bit of info.
Still, something changed on how iOS/iPadOS hadles RAM as the drastic changes have been recent. Apple even tried to short term fix the issue.
Problem I still see, and while your link was interesting, it just clouds the problem. Seeing too many RAM load/reload/launch issues across multiple apps and Safari tabs. Apple changed things. Now whether the future needs a dev/Apple collaberation to fix the user impact ... We just know we need it fixed.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iOS 13 needs 6GB of RAM. Apple cheapened out on the ram making the iPad Pro and the iPhone 11 a prime target for planned obsolescence.
I don't quite agree with the planned obsolescence argument. However, I do agree that Apple often cheaps out on the amount of RAM and storage they put in their devices.

Heck, I moved to 8GB on my Windows PCs around 2009 and back then, I believe the iPhone was only sporting 256MB and iPod touch had 128MB.

OG iPhone and iPhone 3G only had 128MB RAM and if you owned an iPod touch (same CPU and 128MB RAM), you can actually notice the iPod touch is faster/more responsive as it doesn't need to handle phone-related overhead.

I understand why Apple does it. $2-5 component savings per device adds to a lot when you're making 200+ million devices. Doesn't mean I like it or agree with their choice as it impacts user experience.

Reactions: seezar

nexu

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2017
It’s total trash on 13.3 iPhone XR. I can’t even go from Instagram to messages to reply and then back without instagram being refreshed. Worked like a charm on iOS 12

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.