13.3 128gb worth a buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Billburns, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Billburns macrumors newbie

Best Buy has or had them on sale for $799.99 and desperately need a new MacBook.

Had the 13" aluminum unibody when it first dropped and spent $1300 to get one. Lasted over 5 years.

Would love a better machine than this air but not Trying to spend $1000++ anymore

I won't buy used either so I guess this is my only choice unless someone else has the air for cheaper

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I think that you answered your question in the first sentence. :)

$200 off is an excellent deal even though they (Best Buy) had it $250 off 2 months ago.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68030

Boyd01

I'd think carefully whether 128gb will be a big enough disk for the next few years. Upgrading the SSD later is possible but it's expensive and not a very attractive option IMO.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

5. kiwipeso1 macrumors 6502a

kiwipeso1

I would strongly recommend against a 128 GB MBA, as you will basically need to run a SD card all the time if you need anything large stored with it.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Personally, I think the 13" MBA at $800 is a great deal. Sure, it's old and outdated, but it runs Sierra beautifully. And yeah, the screen isn't as nice as the retina Macs, but the resolution is nice at 1440x900.

It has regular USB ports and an SD card slot, so that's a bonus that the newer Macs don't have.

I've bought two of these in the last 6 months for my kids and was contemplating buying a 3rd for my youngest (ended up getting a refurb 2010 Macbook instead). The USB ports and SD slot gives you options for further storage expansion if the 128GB proves to be too small. MicroSD cards are up to 256GB now and the 200GB cards are pretty affordable.

Personally, the MBA is the best laptop that Apple has ever made ... haven't had too much time with the new touchbar ones to make a truly informed opinion. But for the few minutes I've played with them, I felt the keyboard sucked ... not as bad as the rMB's keyboard, but nowhere near as good as the MBAs.

7. Billburns thread starter macrumors newbie

Depends on Best Buy sale.

I actually bought a Xiaomi 12 inch air laptop which is brand new that I'm gonna need to sell to fund the MacBook. I've seen them sell on eBay but fees are killer

8. Pollewop macrumors newbie

Pollewop

Which is no bother at all. I recently bought a 13" MBA, 128GB for 799 Swiss Francs (1 Franc = 1 US$) and ordered a Nifty MiniDrive cardholder and a 200 GB Sandisk MicroSD card in a Webshop, for 130 Francs.
    Installed the card yesterday. The Nifty MiniDrive fits snugly in the MBA's SD port without sticking out. Now I have more then enough storage.

It works perfectly... :)

9. RyawesomeU13 macrumors newbie

I have a used MacBook air, 2015, 128gb, and I've done EXACTLY the same thing with extra storage. It's a little slower to read/write big files, but most of the time works fine. I have my dropbox folder synced to the microsd card.

10. YellowFever15 macrumors newbie

A
    Agree with this

11. Fabmac macrumors member

Fabmac

i live with an 128gb sd for ages now (3 years) and now i got an air and its 128gb

i will take a look on the sd thing, but i use lightroom and have all on an external HD an no problem so far
    i just get used to dont store ******** like 4 web browsers and a lot of stuff you dont use on you hd.

12. Billburns thread starter macrumors newbie

Purchased a 128gb, this isn't a long term machine for me. I bought a brand new one but eventually when I get more cash I will be buying a higher end one

Thank you for the replies and informations I hope this thing can atleast last 5 years without issue like my 2008 unibody

13. Fabmac macrumors member

Fabmac

14. Osty macrumors 6502a

15. cnev3 macrumors 6502

I added a $25 128GB Lexar thumb drive. The tiny ones that are barely larger than the metal tip of a USB cable, so they are almost invisible. The great thing about macs are you can save and run most if not all programs off a thumb drive.

16. Osty macrumors 6502a

I do the same for media files. Been meaning to see how running a game like Starcraft 2 works of an external drive.

I still have more than 80GB free on my Macbook Air (128 drive).

17. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502

But doesn't the MicroSD hurt the battery life? I was reading into this a year ago and it said that the newer MBAs have better read/write speed due to port connected to USB or something similar...but anyhow, it uses battery juice constantly because MicroSD doesn't shut off itself while not in use.

Perhaps someone who knows the detail can enlighten me.

18. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I have noticed that behavior on my 11" MBA and use of a nano USB drive permanently installed. (the 11" MBA has no SD card slot). But although it seems to be on "constantly", the drain does not appear to noticeably decrease battery life. Maybe a 5 minute decrease over 7-8 hrs of battery life.

19. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The issue with leaving an SD card in all the time isn't really the battery drain when using the MBA. The issue is that the card will prevent the MBA from going into Deep Sleep. Deep Sleep is what enables a Mac laptop to sleep for weeks with minimal battery drain.

So what I did was buy the Mountain app. This allows me to easily mount and unmount my SD card. Turns out that most of the time, I forget to unmount the SD card anyways.

20. fre3way macrumors member

I am also thinking about hoping on this deal. I currently have a 2011 macbook pro. The processor speed on the new air seems slower but everything else seems to be better than what I currently have. What do you guys suggest?

21. Billburns thread starter macrumors newbie

While I love mine, bought one since I opened this thread. Battery drains rather quickly. I have the keyboard backlights usually off and brightness is pretty low

22. fre3way macrumors member

Its worse than the unibody you had previously? I would love to go for the older macbook pro w/ retina display but even that model is rather expensive at over 1k. At the moment, my macbook is still running smoothly. If you don't see a big upgrade overall, I think I'll wait it out a bit.