13.3" MacBook screen crack...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Plymouthbreezer, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

My friend cracked her MacBook's LCD - typical black ink and goo everywhere.... Anyway, has anyone attempted to replace these themselves?? I've been in the guts of a PowerBook, but never a new Intel based portable.

Also, where would one find a reasonable, yet good quality LCD online? I'm thinkin eBay, but if others have had good experiences elsewhere, I'd check them out.

2. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have replaced many screens. I don't think it is that difficult. You can find replacement instructions at ifixit.com (their parts prices are high).

You should be able to find a replacement LCD on greedbay (eBay) for about $150 and up. Sometimes you can find the whole top lid used on greedbay at a reasonable price.

3. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

tell her to be careful with that... the MB screens contain Mercury and all this other stuff you shouldn't have inside you.

4. Billz macrumors newbie

I fix up MacBooks as sort of a hobby and it isn't too difficult to replace the screen, just remember to keep track of all the screws. I use either small ziplock bags or envelopes and label them. Believe me, keeping organized is alot easier when it comes time to put the MacBook back together. I usually get most of my parts from eBay. Most other sites will charge you double or more for the same parts. Just my two cents. ;)

Bill

5. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Thanks for the replies - got the screen for $145 shipped... Take apart is this weekend!