13.3" MBP mid-2012 screen flickering

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Davy.Shalom, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Hey all,
    So recently my macbook pro has been exhibiting some odd behavior. I have the mid-2012 i7 2.9 model (HD4000). It's on 10.9.2 and I've taken absolutely wonderful care of it. However, over the past couple of weeks, when connected to an external monitor at 1920x1080 and when woken from sleep, odd vertical lines will appear across the screen. Also, the external display will have some flickering. I know this isn't a problem with the monitor since I've tried it on several external monitors (one of which was new of the box.) The flickering comes and goes, but to get rid of the vertical lines I have to pull out the thunderbolt display adapter and plug it back in,
    It occurs on both VGA and HDMI. Do you think this is a problem with my thunderbolt port or with the logic board itself? When I'm home from school I'm going to make an appointment at the apple store. I have apple care.

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Since you have tried with different displays and connectors i can assume its your logic board the thunderbolt port is soldered onto it so eitherways a logic board replacement may be needed.

3. lachapma macrumors newbie

i don't think that it has anything to do with your hardware. I started having the same problem on my MacBook Pro Retina since updating to OS X 10.9.2 while i was on 10.9.1 i never had any flickering. Seems to be an update issue. I think other people are having similar issues, go here https://discussions.apple.com/message/25041555?ac_cid=tw123456#25041555 and follow the feedback procedure stated to report it to apple the more people report it the faster they'll fix it. I'm rolling back my laptop to 10.9.1 someone in the apple discussion above stated theirs was fixed after rolling back.