13.3" uMBP Case Purchase Advice Needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madrick5, Sep 17, 2009.

1. madrick5 macrumors newbie

I am having a horrible time deciding on which sleeve to get for my 13.3" MacBoook Pro.

I've got it limited down to the following, and I was wondering if I could get any help in making the final decision:

Contour Designs rE-versible sleeve
    Booq Taipan skin XS
    Booq Vyper XS2

I want something that will NOT scratch or harm the laptop in any way. I would also prefer something that would fit in my timbuk2 commuter bag.

Thanks for any responses in advance!

2. nitromullet macrumors member

nitromullet

I got a Booq Vyper XS2 for mine, and I'm really happy with it. Good quality and it fits the 13" uMBP like a glove. Tight enough so it doesn't slide around inside, but still easy to close. I especially like the fact that the sides are rigid, and not soft like neoprene. It definitely feels like it will offer more protection then your average sleeve.

The other two you mentioned look like they'd be fine if all you're looking for is scratch protection in another bag, while the XS2 will probably add a little bit more bulk in exchange for the addition of a rigid shell.

3. ronin510 macrumors member

The Viper XS2 looks like a nice case, but it says it fits any 13" MacBook. Seeing as how the plastic MacBooks are thicker than the 13" MacBook Pro, I was just wondering how loose it is with the 13" uMBP. You said it fits like a glove, but the size difference between the other MacBooks and uMBP doesn't make sense to me.

Also, how's the "hardened" protection of it? I've read some describe it more like cardboard.

4. madrick5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got it down to two.

Contour Designs rE-versible sleeve
    Booq Taipan skin XS

My major concerns are the following, and hopefully someone can help me out...

The contour designs rE-versible sleeve doesn't have a "soft" interior. Does the neoprene scratch the aluminum?

Zippers. The booq taipan skin xs has zippers. Will they scratch my macbook?

5. Ryken macrumors newbie

I really struggled with this decision myself. I actually stalled and stalled and then just bought the Incase one from the apple store because I was traveling that same day.

Believe it or not, it's a really great sleeve. The padding is ample on the bottom, so it survives daily train rides, multiple classes, and trips to the library in my leather messenger-style bag. The inside is a very soft velvet/velour like material. I thought the zipper would scratch my 13MBP, but there is piping just inside the zipper that forces the zipper out to prevent this. The fit is perfect, nice and snug without feeling like it is stretching the sleeve.

If you are putting it in your timbuk2 bag, don't get anything that opens on the short end. You will want to have something that allows you to remove the laptop without taking the sleeve out of your bag.

I would recommend a zipper, it does increase scratch factor slightly, but it greatly minimizes the spill, rain, and random crap in your bag damage.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I highly recommend Tom Binh's Brain Cell over the Booq's.

7. nitromullet macrumors member

nitromullet

The OP seems to have already decided against the XS2 for some reason so I won't drag this out. I had the same concerns as you about the fit, I agree that it doesn't really make sense, but it really does fit the uMBP really well. You can see here that once the zipper is zipped up it's nice a tight fit: http://www.gigacrate.com/Blog/?p=508

The "hardened" case is more what I would describe as rigid. I don't consider the XS2 a hard shell case, but it definitely would offer more protection than a neoprene case. I wanted something more rigid that a neoprene sleeve, and was considering the XS2 and the STM Turtle Shell http://www.radtech.us/Products/STMTurtle.aspx I opted to go with the Booq mainly because there were absolutely no reviews around of the STM at the time I made my purchase.

8. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

The reason that that case fits your uMBP is because it was designed for the 13" Aluminum MB that came out last year, not the plastic macbook. The aluminum macbook is either the same size or really close to the uMBP 13" so they will fit.

9. omgitzjoie macrumors newbie

I've got the Case Logic Reversible Notebook Sleeve. It's not on your list, but it fits my 13" uMBP perfectly. No zippers so it won't scratch your macbook. It's made slightly smaller than the laptop so it stretches to fit it perfectly. I'd recommend it :)