13"+3ghz iMac vs 15" i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Jan 25, 2011.

1. skiltrip, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

skiltrip macrumors 68030

I do music production. I have a 2010 13" MBP. I love the footprint. I also use it for everyday stuff in addition to music in Pro Tools and Studio One.

I want a little more horsepower (a substantial bit more) for tracking heavy sessions. I can put about a grand into this move, give or take a bit.

Option A is keep my 13", (which I've already upgraded with 8gb ram and a 500gb hd. Also have AppleCare for it), and add a base model iMac to my studio. the Pro's I can think of is I get to keep my 13" that I like a lot and get some extra juice for Workin in the studio. And I can still mix mobiley on the 13". Also the base i3 even outperforms the 15" i7 2.6 in geekbench scores.

Option B is sell the 13", and get a 15" with the grand I've got put away plus the money I get for the 13". Downside is I have to unload my 13", losing my investment in upgrades, plus I really like it. Also it's my first Mac and although I don't usually get sentimental about electronics, I'm really attached to it. Lol.
    The upside to this is I'm keeping life simpler by just using one computer instead of two. Meaning, now it's two computers to backup, two to keep updated, and so on.

I def need a laptop around, because i like to mix on the go. What scenario makes the most sense to y'all?

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

The i7 in teh 15in is not worth the cost, its just a improved i5, the 2.53 i5 and 2.66 i7 are almost identical in most tests. I'd save your money and either get the 13in MB(base unless you need firewire), and the iMac, or a loaded i5 MBP.

3. skiltrip, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I already have a 2010 13" MacBook Pro. I've gone back and forth between the i5 and i7, but either way the iMac outperforms both of them. That's what pulls me toward the iMac.

4. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I'm going to guess that keeping the 13" + getting the iMac is going to be a better option for you. Then again I'm one of the few people that seems to love the smaller 13" footprint enough that given the choice of 2 computers of equal power and price, one 13" and one 15", I'd still take the 13".

5. Yebubbleman, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Keep the 13" MBP, buy the iMac. Two computers are always better than one, especially when you are finding that the iMac beats the 15" that you're considering selling the 13" MBP for. Also, backing up two Macs is only one external hard drive more of an issue than backing up one is, courtesy of Time Machine. You could also replace your router with a Time Capsule, effectively killing two birds with one stone in that regard.