Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I attempted to update OTA the OS today as many others did with many 11 Pros & kept getting errors about internet connection after downloading the software & was unable to install it. Next I went to my iMac & plugged in the phone and attempted to update the old fashion way. It then downloaded the file & froze on the restore screen. Looking at the file it downloaded a XS Max file for my 11 Pro Max? Tried hard resets, updated the Mac OS, everything. Unable to update or restore- just frozen on restore screen. Apple support :1st guy couldn't help, expedited to higher level, still no resolution. Entered a case & waiting for a fix. Apple stores are closed, so no replacement available same day for a $1400 + $200 Apple care 6 month old phone.. NO home phone so if the wife leaves the house- NO phone. Not good in current situation in US.... I'll update, but at the least they need to fed ex out a replacement ASAP.

Last edited:

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
hi. you. could have went too general. then iPhone. storage then. look. too where it. says. system. update. and. re moved the. update. file. then. re download the. update. file.

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
Thanks, but The phone is frozen in restore mode- no way to get to settings or anything on the phone. Tried resets, hard resets, connecting to Mac , many button combinations- nothing will get it out of that screen.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
Thanks, but The phone is frozen in restore mode- no way to get to settings or anything on the phone. Tried resets, hard resets, connecting to Mac , many button combinations- nothing will get it out of that screen.

you. might have too wait tell your phone. is dead then try once more.

cmihai

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
Same here iphone XS, now I just wait for battery to die and the try to plug into mac

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
I finally got it into DFU mode & found iTunes on another Mac (mine has Catalina)- Success!! Updated and restored.
Same here iphone XS, now I just wait for battery to die and the try to plug into mac
Google how to get the phone into DFU (recovery, not restore mode) like they do at an Apple Store and find a computer (Mac or Windows) with iTunes and you can do a update & recovery. Then restore ONLY from iCloud (because you now have a different OS from your last backup on Computer). Good Luck!

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I finally got it into DFU mode & found iTunes on another Mac (mine has Catalina)- Success!! Updated and restored.

Google how to get the phone into DFU (recovery, not restore mode) like they do at an Apple Store and find a computer (Mac or Windows) with iTunes and you can do a update & recovery. Then restore ONLY from iCloud (because you now have a different OS from your last backup on Computer). Good Luck!

happy to here it

Reactions: That70sGAdawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.