13" 4gb MBA.. wait for retail or BTO online?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by juuuice, Oct 27, 2010.

1. juuuice macrumors newbie

I've configured and added the BTO 13" 128gb w/ 4GB to my cart multiple times in the last week but can't seem to pull the trigger. I keep feeling like it will take forever to arrive and it just doesn't feel the same.

My T61 recently died and I needed a replacement home notebook which coincided nicely with the release of the new MBA line.. Since this is my first Mac I keep feeling like i'm missing out on the experience of going to an apple store and walking out with the beautiful macbook box. Ordering online just doesn't feel the same.

The 4 or so local apple stores have received the 11" 4gb/1.6ghz models in the last day or so which brings some hope of a 13" 4gb model in store.. At this point breaking down and ordering online it likely wouldn't be till next week for delivery. What would you do in my shoes? hold out a few more days and keep checking locally or break down and BTO online. The only other option that would be appealing about an online order is if a 3rd party offered the 4gb model tax free and had reasonable shipping times.

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

all the stores by me seem to have the stock configs then the ultimate ones

3. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

The question is can you wait a week or so? Seeing as how your T61 died maybe you can't. The answer to that question should lead you down the right path. If you need it now get it now. If you can wait a bit and not only get what you need but also what you want, then practice some patience and hold on a bit for the win win. :D

4. juuuice thread starter macrumors newbie

While I lost my T61 I still have an x100e and desktop so there isn't really much urgency other than convenience. The x100e is a nice machine and comparable to the 11" mba except in multitasking performance.

I guess my original question was more to the point of how likely is it that the config I was hoping for '13" 128gb ssd 4GB 1.8ghz' would be available in the store sooner than having it arrive via BTO.

Thinking about it more, it's probably more likely that if they do get a 13" with 4gb that it would be the fully decked out model with the 256gb and 2.13ghz proc.. while it's a great config, it's another 300+.

5. itommyboy macrumors 6502a

itommyboy

I would think so as well. The reports of BTO units showing up are all of the top of the line only. Good luck and post back once you pull the trigger - whichever one you pull!

6. juuuice thread starter macrumors newbie

If I were to order it online.. how much time would I have to cancel my order if I found it locally? are they really shipping in 1-3 days?

7. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Bought mine today 10/29 and it shows delivery between 11/2 and 11/8. If you take the 3 business days to ship and the days on the FedEx truck then the 1-3 business day estimate should be correct.

8. bcaslis macrumors 68020

My experience is that lots of the sales people at the stores don't know that they actually have the 4GB model. I'd go to one and be a little insistent that they check. That was how I got mine.

9. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Pulled the trigger on the ultimate - the 13 base + 4GB isn't exactly cheap, so it finally just made sense to go all or nothing on it. Almost bought the 11.6 ultimate a few days ago but the 13 just finally made all the sense in the world (will be selling off my 15" MBP and 11.6" PC CULV to lessen the wallet hurt).

I think its the most I've ever spent at a retail store. Feels good. :D

10. bcaslis macrumors 68020

If this is the most you've spent in a retail store, you don't go to the Apple store often enough. :D

11. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Well there was that 1st gen iPhone 8GB but that didn't come to as much. Was a pretty penny back in the day though. $199 for the iPhone 4 now is like a total steal! The 15" MBP was a closeout previous gen model when I got it from Macmall - prices dropped like a rock when Apple launched the mid '09 MBP updates.

Back then, I thought a removable battery and ExpressCard slot might be good - the MBA is the total reversal. In the time I've had my 15", the ExpressCard slot has only seen an SD adapter, and yes I did swap the hard drive but the original battery is still in really good condition (most usage on power, but battery life was pretty horrid in the 2-3 hour range).