13" 8GB RAM rMBP vs 15" 16GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eirikir, Dec 12, 2013.

1. eirikir macrumors newbie

I'm a freelance web developer and am buying a new computer for my work and for personal usage (lots of Internet and watching movies, streamed and downloaded).

I'm trying to decide between a 13", 8GB RAM rMBP ($1999) and the 15", 16GB RAM base rMBP model ($2599). Both would have 512GB storage. I'm attracted to the larger screen and more RAM of the 15", but the extra $600 ($700 more w/ AppleCare) is giving me a lot of pause.

I'm planning on selling my 2011 13" MBP, so that should help. It has 4GB RAM, and which I'm constantly throttling because I often have about 5 applications open and a dozen tabs up in Chrome.

Will I notice a difference between the 8GB and 16GB RAM? Unfortunately, the 13" with 16GB RAM isn't an option for me because those take 2-3 weeks to ship and I'll be leaving the country for several months before then. Also, I know there's a million threads on this decision, but I'd appreciate first-hand accounts from people with similar use-case to mine.

Will I notice a difference between 15" and 13" MBP? Between work and play, I probably spend about half my waking hours during the week on my computer, and better movie quality wouldn't hurt.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Unless you are running a VM or editing something like HUGE Photoshop files, you will not notice the difference between 8GB and 16GB. See this test.

15 vs 13 is a really personal choice and I don't know how to help you there. I personally prefer a 13" for the portability, but that's just me.

3. eirikir thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, those tests were much more helpful than many others I've seen; it doesn't look like there'll be much difference between 8 and 16GB for me since I very rarely use a VM.

I'm leaning towards the 13" with 8GB RAM now, for the portability also, but do you have any opinion on i5 vs i7? I'm currently using under 15% of CPU on an older i5, so I'm thinking the RAM will throttle me before the processor, but maybe I'm missing something?

4. eirikir thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks from this test as I suspected: the core upgrade makes even less of a difference than the RAM does.

I think I'll go with the 512GB-storage 13" base model, and if I notice a big issue with the screen real estate or the RAM, I can always return it and upgrade to the 15". Thanks again!

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... even the base processor is very powerful. Unless you are encoding videos all day, the i7 would be a waste of money IMO. Enjoy your new machine. :)

6. Jonathanchasr macrumors newbie

I generally go with 16GB of RAM because its better to have more RAM than less, I often use more than 8GB of RAM when I have Chrome open with other applications like Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects and eclipse. As a developer its probably better to have more RAM because you'll have many programs open and projects running. Also the 15 inch and 13 inch do have a few differences, the 13inch does not have a discrete GPU and the screen is smaller. A GPU will probably not matter to you but 15 inch is preferable since you get more room on your screen. If you stay home a lot then a 15 inch will be better but if you travel and want a lighter computer the 13 will be better for you.