13 Air, refurbished Pro or pro refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by olos, Feb 15, 2011.

  1. olos macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2011
    Would like a new laptop, current Dell 5+ yr old, 515Mb memory.
    Should I
    buy Oct 2010 Air 13' $1050 (academic)
    buy refurbished April 2010 Pro 13' $999
    hang on and wait for refresh of 2011 pro 13' $1300?

    I use laptop exclusively (as primary computer) at home for work and play, use office and photoshop, that's about it.

  2. falterego, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011

    falterego macrumors 6502


    Dec 28, 2008
    Southern California
    To me it depends on how much power you need and how quickly you need a computer. I love the idea of the Air, and if I didn't want a more powerful CPU I would have gotten that. If you're not in a super hurry, it might be good to wait until the new MBP lineup releases. At that point there may be some of those refurbished MBA's available for a really good price.

    Right now I have the 2010 13" MBP, but I wouldn't mind getting the 11" MBA as an ultra portable computer to bring for work. Right now my work laptop is a basic HP Mini that I won't Hackintosh properly.

    EDIT: Just saw this one on their site. 2010 11" MBA. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Now if only I could convince my boss.....
  3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

    Apr 7, 2010
    London, UK
    you sure that Dell is only 5+ yrs old? Sounds more like 10+!!!

    Because you sound like a person who'd milk the life out of their gear, you definitely deserve the latest and greatest so wait for the refresh.
  4. olos thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2011
    :) everything about the 13 air, except one BIG issue, the color display, when compared with pro side by side, color looks washed out and not as saturated.
    That is huge problem for photo editing, otherwise the Air is one nice piece.
  5. olos thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2011
    lol and heart u
  6. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

    Mr. Chewbacca

    Apr 27, 2010
    Dallas TX
    If you dont wait on the refresh you are not letting youre self make an informed choice. You may not want it but I have a feeling its going to be worth waiting for.
  7. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I would wait for the refresh if you plan on using it that long. I'm waiting for the refresh and if I don't see anything I need, going with an Air.
  8. tcphoto macrumors 6502a


    Feb 23, 2005
    Madison, GA
    Wait as long as you can. The MBA sounds like it is in store for a major revamp in the summer with 3G added while the new MBP's will be hear in 4-6 weeks. The refurbs are a deal but a refresh will not make the current offerings a "deal" when the refresh happens. Wait...
  9. olos thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 31, 2011
    If the pro refresh is for sure to happen in a couple months, then true not making informed choice if not waiting.
    But how sure are we about this refresh?
    Is it for sure to happen in the next two months, four months, or six months?
    Think about using a Dell with 512MB memory for photoshop... for another _ months...
  10. Kauai macrumors 6502a

    Oct 13, 2010
    It will happen in the next one or two months, period. A lot of people say in March.

Share This Page