13" Air v 13" Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by szolr, Jun 20, 2012.

1. szolr macrumors 6502

OK, so I went through the whole 'what laptop?' decision when I became a student. It's been a year and I was just wondering theoretically(!) what laptop I'd get this year if faced with the choice. Now the 13 inch Air starts at £999 :)eek:) like the base end Pro I'd be more inclined to get the Air. What do you reckon would be the best choice for a student now between the 2? I use Photoshop frequently but not for academic stuff. Civilization 5 and Photoshop CS6 are probably my most demanding apps. (We'll ignore Office 2011 and the other menial items). :p

2. 2mer macrumors newbie

I'm going to have to go with air on this one as the resolution will suite you for your visual editing applications. If I'm not mistaken, the pro 13' has 1280 X 800 while the 13" air has 1440 by 900 which should give you more room to work with.

CIV V should run okay with respectable frame rates if you configure it right.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

Please see the other threads on this topic. This has been endlessly discussed, and I would guess it would be difficult to convince one of the MBA people here to go from a lightweight model with an SSD and high resolution to a heavier one without an SSD and lower resolution. It's not a choice this year, in my opinion.

4. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I had the same decision last year for my first year of medical school. I chose the Pro last year. This year the Air has overtaken the Pro in my opinion. I don't even think it's close which 13" MacBook to choose. With the Air bumping up to 512 GB SSDs and up to 8 GB of RAM. The lack of large storage space and amount of RAM were my gripes last year, but Apple has effectively solved those problems. I plan to pick up a Haswell Air next year before I start rotations.

5. npro1464 macrumors member

I chose the Air. From everything I read, ill be happy with my decision. The Pro was just way too heavy and bulky. And for my simple needs, I think the Air will do. Theres tons of cheap disk drives on Amazon that will probably make me never regret not getting a Pro for that reason. And display is so much better.

6. chanyitian macrumors regular

I would recommend the 13'' Air. If you happen to run out of space, just stick an SD card into the SD card slot. Air can handle photoshop quite well.

7. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

8. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I wrestled with the same decision in February and got the MBA. When I arrived at Best Buy I still hadn't made up my mind. They had the 13" MBA and MBP right next to each other, so I restarted them at the same time. When I saw how fast the MBA booted, I realized what a big plus the SSD would be and I was sold.

The MBA with 256GB SSD really came in at the right price point for me, about $70 more than the MBP with its slow hard drive. I decided I could live without the DVD drive and firewire.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

13" Air + 8GB RAM ($1239 with student discount) + 1TB USB 3.0 external hard drive (~$100) would probably be my choice.

10. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

You just read my mind! That's exactly what I'm doing, but I'm getting a 32gb USB 3.0

11. katmeef macrumors 6502

I've switched to an air after turning my mid 09 13 mbp into a fathers day present. Initially I got another 13 pro but with the retina out I was OCDing all night on these forums, dissatisfied with my decision and trying to convince myself otherwise... Suddenly the form factor I loved for 3 years felt heavy as a brick and the screen was looking rather pixelated.

Typically I only use my computer for terminal (ssh), excel and a bit of safari so I have no usage case to justify needing retina, after much going back and forth I decided the air was for me mainly for the higher screen resoluton and slimmer / lighter form factor. (Well also I don't want to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery of the retina I would want, instant gratification type of guy...) I returned the pro and picked up an ultimate 13 at the apple store the other day along with a shell case and tb to Ethernet adapter, this is a great machine for me.